Avast messes with Network Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Quick questions, whilst connected to your home network have you configured as Private or Public network under Windows Firewall settings? And Do you use an alternative DNS setting?

It's Private with norton dns

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is Norton ComnectSafe configured on your PC or Router, or both?

Can you try temporarily remove or disable Norton DNS settings, reboot and run another Network scan.

I use Avast SecureDNS (Premier) and it doesn't always function when running a Network scan.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Wow you really want me to use avast! LOL.

Make up your mind dude, 1st you say contact them and get the issue resolved. Then you say it's only unique to me out of millions of people and the "avast!! team" can't do anything. And finally that I should definitely keep on avast!@! for No Good Reason, just "stay away" from using it properly.

You're deeply emotional about avast!!1! for some reason and I don't care to know why, but letting people know about issues which could affect them is by all means the right thing to do.

Ignorant behaviour would be to let it be and say I'll just keep it to myself , maybe tell avast@!$ but they can't handle it because their wand isn't working, instead of discussing it on an AV discussion site...literally the purpose of MT.

I've made a general comment for your "omg it's broken, switch to something else immediately". The rest was specific to WiFi Inspector, how it works and why in your SPECIFIC example with your ISP it somehow became a problem.

Just as you have the right to post it and notify others about the issue, so do I with explanation why exactly it happened and how to remedy it. What else do you expect at this point? Magic wand that forces your ISP to magically change their software infrastructure? C'mon dude, be serious. There is no mass user disconnection going on because of avast!. Your case is a very specific scenario. And I'm not deeply emotional about avast!, I'm deeply emotional about people experiencing dumb s**t and then blaming it on the wrong party, be it avast! or someone else (if you haven't noticed I blamed ISP as well, which includes my own as well because they use stupid account control panel as well and it's dumb as hell, mine just doesn't disconnect me for probes). You should see me go ballistic when people blamed Microsoft for BSOD's in Vista and 99% of BSOD's I've later inspected were caused by a system driver starting with "nv". Which was NVIDIA. But people blamed Microsoft because "muh Windows showed BSOD and I didn't like it". And I was using ATI back then. So, clearly, I wasn't defending Microsoft because I was "deeply emotional" about Windows Vista, but because it was a common sense for me to point out what actually caused the problem and not just blindly blame someone. It helps users who read such things in the future. If your solution is to switch product, then you're not really telling anyone why all this really happened and what exactly caused it.

Can you tell me what your ISP is at least, I'll ask avast! devs about something if it's possible to make blacklist of ISP's who terminate users for using WiFi Inspector based on IP owned by user. So that WiFi Inspector would simply return "Not allowed to run on this network" in case users have blacklisted ISP, preventing unwanted disconnects due to WiFi Inspector probing. That's about most avast! can theoretically do about it really.

K

KGBagent47

1. Antiviruses aren't just "antiviruses" anymore. They are security products now, helping users protect multiple infection/exploitation vectors. Staying "in their lane" makes no sense anymore, they need to offer extended or complete protection, otherwise users will blame it for not protecting them enough, even though it was within their power.

2. "Network security should be left to the router and user." You mean, the very same router which most users just run with default settings out of the box and which can easily be exploited or abused? WiFi Inspector checks exactly that. It probes router for known and common exploitation methods, be it passwords like "12345" or other methods like sending full control URI's to it in hope to invoke its controls. avast! probes that and recommends user to fix that, if it finds any of such issues on your network.

This is the first time I've ever seen avast! Wi-Fi Inspector component cause issues. It's such specific case you just can't blame them for it.
Like I've explained above, due to nature of this specific case, removing Wi-Fi Inspector component from avast! is really the only way to make sure ISP won't terminate your access anymore. It's just because how his ISP operates. The WiFi Inspector is actually a really useful feature otherwise. I didn't use it much in the past, but now that I understand it in-depth, it's actually a really clever and useful tool.
>I think you're giving Avast too much of a break here. Having to contact your ISP because of Avast is unacceptable.

>This is going to be less and less of an issue going forward because even basic new routers are shipped with unique passwords and SPI firewalls.

>Windows 10 even puts a padlock next to password protected networks, so you can easily see it's protected. And even normies now know you have to put a password on wifi.

Reactions: RVS2

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I've made a general comment for your "omg it's broken, switch to something else immediately". The rest was specific to WiFi Inspector, how it works and why in your SPECIFIC example with your ISP it somehow became a problem.

Just as you have the right to post it and notify others about the issue, so do I with explanation why exactly it happened and how to remedy it. What else do you expect at this point? Magic wand that forces your ISP to magically change their software infrastructure? C'mon dude, be serious. There is no mass user disconnection going on because of avast!. Your case is a very specific scenario. And I'm not deeply emotional about avast!, I'm deeply emotional about people experiencing dumb s**t and then blaming it on the wrong party, be it avast! or someone else (if you haven't noticed I blamed ISP as well, which includes my own as well because they use stupid account control panel as well and it's dumb as hell, mine just doesn't disconnect me for probes). You should see me go ballistic when people blamed Microsoft for BSOD's in Vista and 99% of BSOD's I've later inspected were caused by a system driver starting with "nv". Which was NVIDIA. But people blamed Microsoft because "muh Windows showed BSOD and I didn't like it". And I was using ATI back then. So, clearly, I wasn't defending Microsoft because I was "deeply emotional" about Windows Vista, but because it was a common sense for me to point out what actually caused the problem and not just blindly blame someone. It helps users who read such things in the future. If your solution is to switch product, then you're not really telling anyone why all this really happened and what exactly caused it.

Can you tell me what your ISP is at least, I'll ask avast! devs about something if it's possible to make blacklist of ISP's who terminate users for using WiFi Inspector based on IP owned by user. So that WiFi Inspector would simply return "Not allowed to run on this network" in case users have blacklisted ISP, preventing unwanted disconnects due to WiFi Inspector probing. That's about most avast! can theoretically do about it really.

Since when is being triggered the same as a general comment? Lolll.

And you're "deeply emotional about people experiencing dumb s**t and then blaming it on the wrong party" ?? Lmao...

And what about blaming it on the right party? Are you only slightly emotional about that...

And for the last time, putting it here is one of the best things to do so people can find out or make up their mind about products by reading the different experiences of users.
But instead, you're here to stop that from happening. I would respectfully ask you to not enlighten us with more obviously biased comments since you've already added to this discussion enough.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
>I think you're giving Avast too much of a break here. Having to contact your ISP because of Avast is unacceptable.

>This is going to be less and less of an issue going forward because even basic new routers are shipped with unique passwords and SPI firewalls.

>Windows 10 even puts a padlock next to password protected networks, so you can easily see it's protected. And even normies now know you have to put a password on wifi.

How am I giving it too much "break" here? I've literally never heard of such case to date and avast! has this feature for quite a while. And if you think router settings are "not an issue" anymore from security perspective, boy oh boy you're wrong. Not only people don't change routers until they die, which means there is still millions of ancient routers that "just work", but are totally insecure because they came that way years ago. And there is special class of people who find that complex password on new routers too complex and they change it to "12345" because it's more memorable. That's why.

And you're talking about WiFi signal password, I'm talking about router password. If you hijack router, you also gain wireless password, making it irrelevant. This is for attacks from within network. Either when someone is already connected to your network because you allowed him or because it was malware borne attack from outside to your PC and from it, within your network to the router. Not the same thing!

Since when is being triggered the same as a general comment? Lolll.

And you're "deeply emotional about people experiencing dumb s**t and then blaming it on the wrong party" ?? Lmao...

And what about blaming it on the right party? Are you only slightly emotional about that...

And for the last time, putting it here is one of the best things to do so people can find out or make up their mind about products by reading the different experiences of users.
But instead, you're here to stop that from happening. I would respectfully ask you to not enlighten us with more obviously biased comments since you've already added to this discussion enough.

Ok. So, lets blame avast!. Now what? How does that help anyone other than you being Kaspersky and Bitdefender fanboy and want to convert everyone to that because you're clearly deeply emotional about disliking avast!. Hey, I'm just playing your game now. How does it feel? Not well I imagine.

And I'm not stopping anyone from anything. I've just expanded the explanation why it happens and what's the solution without having to use something else. What the hell is wrong with that? It seems you're trying to stop ME from explaining things, because you clearly don't like the truth. Shall we continue this game which is based on your rules now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.