Battle Avast paid + Syshardener OR Bitdefender TS + Another program?

Compare list
avast paid + syshardener
bitdefender total security + another program to plug any BD insufficiencies.

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
:giggle:

which protects better? avast paid + syshardener or bitdefender TS + another program to make up for any BD deficiencies?

I am not concerned with how heavy they are?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well, why not Bitdefender + syshardener, then?
If the price and the heaviness of BD doesn't bother you, I think that's a pretty solid setup.
BD is more intrusive to the system (and thus more likely to conflict with other softwares), and will probably leave more remnants after uninstalling, but in terms of protection and usability, BD + syshardener should be great.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Both Avast and BD TS will be OK in practice, as a default-allow protection - except scripts and macros. SysHardener would be the simplest way to add such a protection.

For the advanced hardening NVT OSA or H_C would be appropriate, too.

Avast set to Hardened Aggressive mode + H_C, would be the simplest way to apply strong & usable default-deny protection in the home environment.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
what would stop PUP's? a web extension?
You're going overboard with this and that.

PUPs are easily avoidable without relying on an Antivirus / Antimalware program to do so.

If you are unsure, use Unchecky which automatically de-selects any pre-checked boxes that would install unwanted software.

Download this: Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Over the two I'd choose Bitdefender, you can even utilise Syshardener alongside BD. BD should also stop PUPs, another web extensions would be unneeded.

When you have to think about computer security, think about what's better and runs smoother on your device. Asking on here via a thread was a fantastic idea. Gives you the knowledge of what solution(s) are good for you, to make a better informed judgment.

~LDogg

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Bitdefender is the overall better product -- based on over a decade of testing.

If you are worried about PUA/PUPs, you can add: unchecky, Malwarebytes Browser Extention, MBAM, and/or hpHosts PUP to uBO or other adblocker. Or add them all..

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Bitdefender has a better testing record, but personally I would recommend Avast Free (with Harderned Mode) + SysHardener.

It is free, lighter and less bug prone, at least in my experience; Bitdefender has massive signatures (with slow database updates) and always slowdown the browsing too much.

Avast with Hardenerd Mode (agressive settings) is close to default deny setup and yet is very friendly, pairing it with SysHarderner and you get a very very safe environment.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.