Advice Request Avast removed "old settings" and now Unable to choose between Moderate and Aggressive for Hardened Mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
They all do it. I've used Kaspersky for a long time and got that. Activate now to be protected against this and that...
Avast's free version is the closest there is to a paid suite, others leave more stuff to paid costumers only. The rest is bs.

I used kaspersky free for about 2 months and i didn't see scam ads. I got ads about their internet security package and vpn but never got ads that my pc is exposed to hackers etc..

DSD27

Level 5
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I used kaspersky free for about 2 months and i didn't see scam ads. I got ads about their internet security package and vpn but never got ads that my pc is exposed to hackers etc..
You're arguing semantics... Anyway, if you think that's a reason good enough for you not to use their good product, that's up to you.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
It's s stupid argument, just because it can't protect you from everything, it doesn't mean it's bad. Nothing protects you from everything. You should know that.

I only edit my posts to correct spelling and add something, I never change my statements. I'm sorry if you feel the need two play low ;)
I don't need teaching from you, before last month you never heard about limitation of Hardened-Mode, so that is your knowledge!

We can continue to play game of thrones but your warning level is probably higher, so who will be the winner?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Facts: some companies need to sell your data to 3rd parties for profit. F-Secure probably does it. Data is the new oil. You have to think, Privacy or Security. I think I would prefer the latter. Even installing an extension for a web browser probably sells your data.

Let's all come off the internet, because data is going everywhere.....

Avast is still a good product and you can turn off the settings for the data selling or use a Firewall to block packets going to a specific Avast IP. Simples. Don't be so special about it.

~LDogg

DSD27

Level 5
Thread author
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
I don't need teaching from you, before last months you never heard about limitation of Hardened-Mode, so that is your knowledge!

We can continue to play game of thrones but your warning level is probably higher, so who will be the winner?
Again with the personal attacks, now it's the "you are a noob" tactic.
All antivirus have limitations and all protection strategies have limitations, that doesn't mean they're not worth it or better than some.
You have nothing to add to the discussion, just attacking and being arrogant.

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Found this: I think if you attach anything to a file, you modify it's digital signature. That should mean it will come off the whitelist. Hardened Mode detects those changes to the EXE files.

Loading in memory has no effect on Hardened Mode. I don't think Hardened Mode prevents direct in-memory execution. I think that's usually used as an entry point and still needs disk access to make it permanent, so Hardened Mode should stop it.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool and DSD27

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.