Battle Avast SafeZone Browser or Browser shielded by Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit ?

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
I'm wondering if Avast SafeZone Browser can protect me as well as another browser shielded by MBAE, because, if I'm not wrong, Avast SafeZone cannot be shielded by MBAE.
That's an important question for me because I have to choose because when I go to my Bank site; it is asked to me if I want to be redirected on Avast SafeZone Browser.
What do you think about that ?
Thanks.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think they have different purposes.
MBAE is to protect your browser from exploits coming in from the internet.
But the AVAST secure browser protects primarily from malware that might be lurking on your own PC.
See descrip:

SafeZone Browser gives you the option to open banking sites in Bank Mode (previously known as Pay Mode), a virtual desktop which acts as a safe and clean computer within your real computer. Bank Mode isolates your browsing session and protects it from keyloggers and other potential malware or spyware. In Bank Mode you can be sure that your financial transactions are safe and your activities are not being tracked.

Additionally, SafeZone Browser includes Online Security as an embedded add-on to detect security threats.
Avast FAQ | Avast 2016: SafeZone Browser - FAQs

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Hi, as far as i know SafeZone is built on top of Chromium (open source browser), Google Chrome, Vivaldi, and Opera are based on it.
you have other famous Chromium from Comodo,called "Chromodo". Basicly is like run your browser inside a sandbox.
Avast SafeZone as some cool features. The Avast team added a couple of more mainstream features, like ad-block, Price comparison on trusted shopping sites, and a bank mode to protect from keyloggers and malware and even incognito mode for more privacy in your transactions.
Using Safezone is should be "almost" impossible to open a fake Bank page...I think
For me is the best way to secure your online transactions and private data.

Is a browser with steroids :)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Out of the two i would use MAE without hesitation. I don't really like in house browsers made by antivirus companies.

There are just too many good and safe browsers out there with a lot of add-ons to be added, so locking yourself up in browser provided by an AV seems useless in my opinion.

Google Chrome or Firefox are compatible with virtually all antivirus or anti-exploits, including MAE. Add Avira Browser Safety and you got yourself a good secured browser.

Reactions: JB007

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast SafeZone "BANK MODE" browser has the added benefit of anti-logger capabilities. However other features of the SZ browser are limited to the built-in Avast extensions.

What is Bank Mode? | Link

Bank Mode, formerly known as Pay Mode, provides a virtual desktop which acts as a safe and clean computer within your real computer. This protects against a potentially hijacked host or network and prevents keyloggers and network-based eavesdropping from capturing any of your data.

To open Bank Mode:
  • Click the credit card icon in the top-right corner of the SafeZone Browser screen.
  • In the new window that opens, enter the website you want to visit into the search field.
  • To switch between the virtual desktop and SafeZone Browser, click Switch back in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Bank Mode continues to run in the background and can be easily re-visted by clicking the yellow Bank Mode button. To turn off Bank Mode completely, click the red power button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I think using Sandboxie is a better idea to isolate things out alongside a hardened protection with MBAE for secondary protection.
Yes James but please consider, that for example, if you save the password in Firefox, you can set a master password, but by default they are in clear.
If you get a stealer script during the Firefox SB session, the sensitive data are at risk.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Thanks all for your advices:)
@Spawn : when I'm on Chrome and I want to go on my Bank site, Avast ask me what is my choice:
1/Open SafeZone
2/Never ask the question for this site
ASZB1.PNG

Reactions: Ink and tim one

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I didn't vote since I would choose Avira Browser safety which is free and very solid or just the default Chrome built in safe browsing feature which seems to pick up and block more domains than most AVs.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Spawn : when I'm on Chrome and I want to go on my Bank site, Avast ask me what is my choice:
1/Open SafeZone
2/Never ask the question for this site
View attachment 125715
Only seeing this now, Bank Mode will launch SafeZone browser in an isolated environment for that specific website.

SafeZone is available for all Avast users, but personal choices may mean you don't need to use it, if you can guarantee the following:
1. Your PC is malware-free
2. All browser extensions are safe, reputable and trustworthy, or use Incognito mode
3. Sensitive data is not being phished
I personally don't have SZ browser installed due to it's limitations as a standard browser whilst not in Bank Mode and lack of other releases compared to Chrome.
You're placing your trust with Avast and not Google, when you use Third-party browsers with "security-enhancements".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.