Avast SecureMe app protects iOS users from Wi-Fi hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2014
Avast SecureMe is the world’s first application that gives iPhone users a tool to protect their devices and personal data when they connect to Wi-Fi networks. The free app scans Wi-Fi networks and tells users which of them are safe. Since many users use Wi-Fi networks without knowing whether or not they are safe, Avast SecureMe will create a secure connection in order to keep them safe.

FULL BLOG POST: https://blog.avast.com/2015/12/07/avast-secureme-app-protects-ios-users-from-wi-fi-hacking/

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
It's basically a VPN app with a "scanning" function to see if a wifi is "safe" to use. But I'm pretty sure that it's bogus and will always say that the wifi is not safe to use and you should connect to the VPN to make it "safe". I even scanned by own home's wifi and it said that it was not safe :D . I'm pretty sure I know how to secure by own wifi :p

Reactions: Enju

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Yeah, it just nags you to install their VPN profile on every wifi. :rolleyes:
"It's easy for hackers to tap into your communications when you're on public Wi-Fi"

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

It is basically avast! SecureLine and avast! Home Network Security combined and on IOS, I see why this would be good, but how does it determine if a WIFI is safe or not?

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
It is basically avast! SecureLine and avast! Home Network Security combined and on IOS, I see why this would be good, but how does it determine if a WIFI is safe or not?
Thats the same question that Avast refused to answer that I asked.

I personally think it scans the devices on the network against maybe a series of common exploit kits, or tries to remotely virus scan them. It also might detect UPnP and wifi passwords and dns servers of course.
If its scanning a wifi network with the app, it probably detects a wifi network as insecure simply by its name and security type???
The best way Avast could have done this is to prevent internet access after connecting to a network until Avast has scanned it AFTER connecting to see whether it could access other clients (whether the clients were virtually isolated), or if the network could be pinged or probed remotely, and A VERY BIG ONE: whether there were any cases of possible ARP SPOOFING,

I REALLY Hope Avast detects ARP spoofing. If it doesn't that is a total failure, I am always cautious of ARP poisoning/spoofing. I really hope this detects it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.