Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Router: Avast Smart Home Security

Ran8Lx5.png

Driven by AI
Using artificial intelligence, Smart Home Security learns how to detect unusual behavior in your home network and immediately notifies you of any malicious activity.

Always up-to-date
By continuously learning the behavior of new devices and processing big data in real-time, Smart Home Security provides world-class security, privacy, and insights.

Works on every connected device
Smart Home Security acts as the central hub of your home’s comprehensive security solution. Our app makes it easy to manage.

Doesn’t slow you down
Smart Home Security has been designed so that it will not affect your router performance or slow down your Internet connection.

Register your interest at avast.com/smarthome

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Does it come with ADs and data harvesting? :p

In all seriousness, its good to see more of these products come out. I really think that having a hardware appliance will be the future and will be an integral part of any home network.(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does it come with ADs and data harvesting? :p

In all seriousness, its good to see more of these products come out. I really think that having a hardware appliance will be the future and will be an integral part of any home network.(y)

I'm waiting on installing something like this because the tech is changing so fast. Let other players to catch up, etc. and for prices to come down. It seems like many of these devices require a subscription right now, and maybe this will become like the AV market is now - with paid suites and free? except for the appliance of course. I refuse to be saddled with yet another subscription.

It's getting to the point where you need a subscription just to LIVE! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I'm waiting on installing something like this because the tech is changing so fast. Let other players to catch up, etc. and for prices to come down. It seems like many of these devices require a subscription right now, and maybe this will become like the AV market is now - with paid suites and free? except for the appliance of course. I refuse to be saddled with yet another subscription.

It's getting to the point where you need a subscription just to LIVE! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I agree.

While this technology has been around for a very long time for business and enterprise customers, it's still relativity new for home users. Some of it is a little questionable for me right now. Many of them use it to push their AV/Internet security suites IMO. It may be my perception, but sometimes it doesn't seem like you get the "full" protection, or it says your systems may be "compromised" because you don't have their AV/Internet security suite installed. It's actually one of the reasons I will more than likely build my own "router/firewall" using either pfsense or Sophos Firewall XG Home.

As for the subscriptions I agree. I think what may be contributing to this is the simple fact that 3rd party AV's are dying off with the improvements and progression of people switching to WD. They are trying to find another avenue to make money and this avenue is hardware UTM's for the home.

Maybe at some point we will have to pay a subscription for the amount of oxygen we consume as humans.:p

ronald739

Level 1
Oct 30, 2016
Not sure if this is the same product or the name has been changed to Omni.

It seems it will only be available in the USA for now.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Yikes, hopefully they won't continue the trend of violating user's privacy at the network level.

That's my concern with this product.

TBH I am happy to see more and more of these products come out, I honestly think these will become mainstream at some point, but I'm just not sold on Avast's version, mostly due to their recent poor history when it comes to user privacy and data mining.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
That's my concern with this product.

TBH I am happy to see more and more of these products come out, I honestly think these will become mainstream at some point, but I'm just not sold on Avast's version, mostly due to their recent poor history when it comes to user privacy and data mining.
That, and hidden or pricey subscriptions...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.