Battle Avast vs Windows Defender vs Bitdefender

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Since you're staying on the free side, I would go for Avast: lightweight, nice UI, many good features and all the settings for you to change as you like. Last time I checked Bitdefender Free it was a (very) cutdown version of BD AV Plus, with very basic features and a bit buggy, but I would still prefer it to Windows Defender, though.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Since you're staying on the free side, I would go for Avast: lightweight, nice UI, many good features and all the settings for you to change as you like. Last time I checked Bitdefender Free it was a (very) cutdown version of BD AV Plus, with very basic features and a bit buggy, but I would still prefer it to Windows Defender, though.

I agree. However, WD is great, especially with Voodooshield or ZAM. Either one with WD would be less buggy, lighter, and more protective than Bitdefender Free, which still seems unfinished.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Avast: too many false-positives, nags, bloat, day-ruining bugs in updates in the past (not sure if they're better now); seems fast though
Windows Defender: slow, low-detection rate and in spite of that, still managed a couple of false-positives for me, but still rare though
Bitdefender Free: using it on my laptop and VM. It's looking like I may replace Panda on my desktop with BD. I may also switch most of my clients from WD to BD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.