Status
Not open for further replies.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
as fas as i am concerned i really do not like AVG after using it for 6 long years and now it has become so bloated with cleaners and stuff. but it is just as good a product as all the others in terms of protection.

G

Guest28

Nothing has changed really but i can't say that till i ty it's protection to see if at all it has improved. Hopefully they made the 9 processes in the free version to only 2 or 3. That would be lovely :).

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
AVG's 2011 release is good but not great since Detection rates are above average and resource usage is intense on older machines. Let's just hope that they'll be back on track with this release. :D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ryan said:
Nothing has changed really but i can't say that till i ty it's protection to see if at all it has improved. Hopefully they made the 9 processes in the free version to only 2 or 3. That would be lovely :).

Don't get your hopes up. Considering the Internet Security has (basically) a process per component/feature. AVG Free even without LinkScanner and IDP, would use 3 or more processes.

In my opinion, the number of processes shouldn't matter unless in excess of 5 for just an Antivirus. :p

I like how AVG released 2012 Beta late compared to other companies who have already released theirs, even while still in 2011.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It seems they have almost have the features, the only miss will be cloud technology or sandbox.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
AVG IS 2012 BETA
Uploaded by languy99 on Jun 27, 2011

Last edited:

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
wow it was so weird to see the fake av install but all in all it is not that bad is it? i used to like avg a lot and used it for years but now i switched to something else since 8.5 was terribly nagging and slowing my computer down to crawl . Now it feels lighter and lets hope they have learned the lesson

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
July 21, 2011
Here goes the second beta of AVG IS 2012! It includes more than 500 bugfixes that have been reported from our Beta testers and internal QA! Thanks everyone for helping us and reporting issues!

Additionally, we've successfully manage to add two new features in the AVG Internet Security that we would like you to test:

• AVG Accelerator helps speeding up your Internet experience by accelerating downloads and flash videos.
  • AVG Advisor which provides assistance and recommendation in case of detected memory problems caused by long-time opened browser sessions. Based on our study every browser due to variety of reasons encounter memory leaks once the tabs a left open for a long time.

We'll be disclosing test protocols at the beginning of next week which focus on these two features in particular (if you want to give a test run to the AVG Accelerator before, go to youtube.com and open any video you like!).
https://secure.avg.com/gb-en/70888.ndi-287337

AVG 2012 VERSION DESCRIPTION
============================
Product: AVG Internet Security
Version: 2012 (build 1769) beta 2

KNOWN ISSUES YET TO BE FIXED
============================
  • Reinstalling over AVG 2011 is not fully supported, ALWAYS uninstall any older AVG version prior installing AVG 2012 (still few bugs are unresolved)
  • Windows explorer window is opened after installation
  • In rare cases, Outlook may not be responding after receiving e-mails
  • Windows Defender is enabled after AVG uninstallation even if it was disabled before installation
  • Old AVG 2011 banner is still displayed in the bottom notification area
  • Safe Search is not compatible with Firefox 6 Beta
  • AVG Accelerator notification is sometimes not displayed correctly and doesn't have final graphics implemented

NEWS, FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS IN VERSION 2012
==========================================
  • AntiRootkit: Improved detection of new variants of Alureon rootkit.
  • Anti-Rootkit: Fixed several false positive detections.
  • AntiSpam: Added IPv6 support in AntiSpam update.
  • AntiSpam: The whitelist import and AntiSpam training not supported for 64bit Outlook 2010.
  • AvgSys: Fixed issue with scan of dynamic hard drives.
  • Core: More flexible virus definitions.
  • Core: Improved heuristic detection.
  • Core: Optimization of "Scan files referred in registry" in Resident Shield.
  • Core: Fixed crash during scan of registry.
  • Core: Polymorphic malware detection methods have been optimized.
  • Core: Some false alarms removed.
  • Documentation: Instructions on fixing the most frequent technical issues have been added to chapter Troubleshooting in Help.
  • Firewall: Added support for NTFS volumes mounted as directories.
  • Firewall: Firewall settings lists' items can be selected by the space key.
  • Firewall: Fixed displaying ask dialogs for communication of 32-bit applications on 64-bit operating systems.
  • Firewall: Fixed issue with occasional BSOD.
  • General: Added reset button for Anti-Spam statistics.
  • General: Extended statistics of SharePoint document scanner component.
  • General: Extended statistics of VSAPI and antivirus transport agents components.
  • General: Added posibility to switch off scan of outbound emails in VSAPI plug-in.
  • General: Added support for Anti-Rootkit exceptions.
  • General: AVG products allow sound notifications for specific alerts.
  • Identity Protection: New RogueAV detection was added to IDP component.
  • Kernel: End of MS Outlook 2000/2002 support.
  • Kernel: Fixed issue with Resident Shield exclusion list when Kerio mail server is installed.
  • Outlook: Fixed compatibility issue with Alt-N Outlook Connector.
  • Outlook: Fixed Outlook addin compatibility with additional e-mail accounts.
  • Setup: Setup will ask for restart if the installation of Microsoft redistributables requires it.
  • Setup: Fixed incorrect registry rights in Firewall installation.
  • Setup: Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 is detected as conflicting application.
  • Safe Search: Fixed crash in Google Chrome when BitDefender TrafficLight is enabled.
  • Safe Search: Fixed LinkScanner crash during common browsing.
  • Safe Search: Optimization for framesets implemented.
  • Safe Search: Fixed issue with https Facebook not showing verdict icons in Google Chrome.
  • Setup: Fixed crash when saving log files in setup.
  • Setup: Fixed issue with detection of competitive products.
  • Toolbar: Brand new toolbar implemented.
  • Toolbar: Toolbar introduces a new feature for private browsing.
  • Update: Last update time displayed in AVG user interface changes only if the update was successful.
  • Update: Fixed crash on Windows Server 2003.
  • User Interface: Several components were grouped together to reduce number of components in overview.
  • User Interface: Fixed handling of duplicates in Resident Shield exceptions list.
  • User Interface: Added default settings for advanced "Identity Protection settings" dialog.
  • User Interface: Fixed notification about logged in users in restart request dialog.
  • User Interface: The "Ignore the state of this component" option is only available from advanced settings.
https://share.avg.com/beta/2012/RN_PRO_2012_1769_beta_2_en.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.