Advice Request AVG - Antimalware Scan Interface?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
hi, when I was walking by AVG inteface, I discovered something that I was not expecting.
The image below comes a reference to a new type of anti-malware module (AMSI), it seems to me...

gg.PNG

my doubts are:
-what is this, its a new windows 10 antimalware protection ?
-windows defender relies on the same technology ?
-windows AMSI work along side AVG?

I would be grateful to know your opinion and clarifications, thanks in advance;)

L

LabZero

Yes AVG uses AMSI to get more information about malware.
The concept is that a malicious script can use various code obfuscation techniques but to invoke scripting engine, the code must be clear, at this stage, the application can invoke the Windows AMSI API to request content scanning.
This feature is useful for script inspection and AV scan engine, using AMSI, allows more deeper scans.
Windows Defender, as locally installed antivirus, is significantly improved (also) due to implementation of this technology.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Many AV's have implemented this type of concept and runs invisible on the background to make scan efficiency rate increased in detection especially in scripts. So AVG created that can be instrument of fancy description perhaps although its common nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.