App Review AVG Antivirus Beta 17.3.3011

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
AVG uses to show some bugs from time to time (for example blocking it's own file removal when having detection by 2 components at the same time - IDP and FileRep), but I've been using v2017 for about a month and I'm really impressed by the protection it offers even in stock settings. Even if you cut it's signatures and the Online Shield, IDP stands up well most of the time :)

Great review, thank you @erreale :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi, I have a small suggestion: can you enable virustotal lookup in Process explorer so the audiences can see the detection ratio of the running malwares when there are running :)
good test with many samples
1 malware was running

can you also check if there is any autorun entry? some malwares will only activate themselves on boot when AV has not been really yet

I think we can use only norton power eraser as the only second opinion scanner -> more chance we can catch the infected files while zemana and HMP can miss

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
hi, I have a small suggestion: can you enable virustotal lookup in Process explorer so the audiences can see the detection ratio of the running malwares when there are running :)
good test with many samples
1 malware was running

can you also check if there is any autorun entry? some malwares will only activate themselves on boot when AV has not been really yet

I think we can use only norton power eraser as the only second opinion scanner -> more chance we can catch the infected files while zemana and HMP can miss

Thanks for your suggestions. Next time I will also restart the operating system and try to use Norton.

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
AVG uses to show some bugs from time to time (for example blocking it's own file removal when having detection by 2 components at the same time - IDP and FileRep), but I've been using v2017 for about a month and I'm really impressed by the protection it offers even in stock settings. Even if you cut it's signatures and the Online Shield, IDP stands up well most of the time :)

Avast invested in right one(AVG's IDP);)
Great test again. :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I have a question.
Should i use AVG Free or Avast Free?
I am asking because in the test i see that signatures definitions have the names that Avast is using for a long time.
Only IDP detection is the old one from AVG.
Very good from AVG i didn't excpect to do that well.
Thanks @erreale for the review:)

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
I have a question.
I am asking because in the test i see that signatures definitions have the names that Avast is using for a long time.
You can use both(AVG or AVAST) but my personal favorite is AVAST.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have a question.
Avast = AVG + Hardened mode => Avast is better :)
they are identical except hardened mode

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016

Thank you!

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Great review @erreale. AVG seems to be keeping up very well.

One thing that I'm concerned about (regarding the detection) here is that most of the samples look to be from MalwareHub (correct me if I'm wrong).
While there's nothing wrong in testing AVG against them, it is bound to have an almost perfect detection ratio owing to the regular tests and SUDs done for those samples by testers from MH.

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Great review @erreale. AVG seems to be keeping up very well.

One thing that I'm concerned about (regarding the detection) here is that most of the samples look to be from MalwareHub (correct me if I'm wrong).
While there's nothing wrong in testing AVG against them, it is bound to have an almost perfect detection ratio owing to the regular tests and SUDs done for those samples by testers from MH.

Hi, truly are mixed as origin, although the greater part comes from Mthub. Others come from Hybrid Analysis, and also from testmyav.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi, truly are mixed as origin, although the greater part comes from Mthub. Others come from Hybrid Analysis, and also from testmyav.
I used testmyav before. It's good for testing detection rate but when we execute the files, 80-90% of them are not able to run, with error popup
useless source of samples :(
I downloaded the lastest malware pack with 50 ransomwares, only <10 of them could run but didn't encrypt the documents

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I used testmyav before. It's good for testing detection rate but when we execute the files, 80-90% of them are not able to run, with error popup
useless source of samples :(
I downloaded the lastest malware pack with 50 ransomwares, only <10 of them could run but didn't encrypt the documents
Extremely good result there.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Extremely good result there.
sorry I don't understand what you mean and I think you didn't understand what I meant too :)
I meant 50 samples could not be executed due to errors, not because of any AV
similar to this video, when he ran Trump... sample at 6:24

testmyav's samples are very bad and should not be used for testing realtime protection
only for detection rate

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
sorry I don't understand what you mean and I think you didn't understand what I meant too :)
I meant 50 samples could not be executed due to errors, not because of any AV
similar to this video, when he ran Trump... sample at 6:24

testmyav's samples are very bad and should not be used for testing realtime protection
only for detection rate
I was referring to when you said this:

Unless that was referring to samples from TestMy AV too. I've never used their samples personally.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I was referring to when you said this:
I think because the samples were modified/neutralized/disinfected and they were no longer malicious
ransomwares not being able to encrypt files :)
I suspected this and tried to run these 50 samples without any AV and none of them worked

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.