App Review AVG Free Antivirus 2018 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Maybe he blocked this all threats, but he still only RAM Eater and i don't trust AVG for last situation before test. Because before i start test in 2016 year, he eated me 6GB RAM and almost my PC get BSODED by him.

Reactions: Solarlynx

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avg is good most probably the best no fee av out there with all the features....Their IDP is great..with avast aquistion .. Cyber capture is rock solid..
IDP is Fine tuned and Accurate..
Automated BB .. Pulse updates ..Excellent Signatures..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

That's kind of wrong and definitely an insult for us robots :censored:
This.

What you've said isn't an opinion, it's factual. ESET do not just rely on a database, they do have zero-day behavioural based protection technology... However they approach it differently and it does work.

ESET also have something which 99.9% of vendors don't have... UEFI bootkit scanning, which does work. While it cannot clean the bootkit infection given it being UEFI (it'd likely lead to more harm than good even if they did attempt it), it's still very helpful.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This.

What you've said isn't an opinion, it's factual. ESET do not just rely on a database, they do have zero-day behavioural based protection technology... However they approach it differently and it does work.

ESET also have something which 99.9% of vendors don't have... UEFI bootkit scanning, which does work. While it cannot clean the bootkit infection given it being UEFI (it'd likely lead to more harm than good even if they did attempt it), it's still very helpful.
Indeed! ESET offers a solid layer of protection. If customized I'd even say it can go deeper than AVG Free can. But I don't wanna hijack this thread. AVG is a good product, as far as a free product can be. But there are many fish on the tank :)

D

Deleted member 65228

Is it underrated?
I think that AVG and Avast are quite good with behavioral analysis sometimes. I may or may not have spoken to someone from Avast recently - they may or may not be hoping to move towards kernel-mode patching a bit more than being more dependent on user-mode patching in the future. :p

I think they are doing fine as it is though... I don't want to see them doing things more like Kaspersky (so much) with kernel-mode shim hooking / hyper-visor stuff and the alike because sadly that is likely the cause of Kaspersky slowing things down a bit more for lower-end systems.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The biggest turnoff we're seeing - even with the paid version - is the endless spam for 'nonsense' add-ons. Granted, you can disable most of that, but having that default to 'nag the hell out of me for useless tools to buy' is a very bad business decision IMO and makes the product feel cheap.

The UI in the latest AVG is gorgeous. Functionality so far seems very good, and it is adept at catching things. But the pushing other paid crap really should stop at the door once the primary product is purchased. For example with the PAID Internet Security version if you run the AV scanner it pushes you to the cleanup tab, then says 'Buy and install a crappy cleaner for another $44.95!'.. No... NO.. NOOOOOO.

Leave your PAID people alone with what they paid for.

Reactions: Pat MacKnife

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.