Battle AVG Free vs Avast Free (in new context - official new test results)may 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
Opinions and explanations about this issue:
- AVG Free vs Avast Free (in new context - official new test results)may 2012

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
osci,

Which "(in new context - official new test results)may 2012" are you referring too?

Also there are many AVG vs Avast topics already open.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
With all these threads that are made. I think you should not judge them off the results that other people do, you should do the tests yourself and see what results you get not judge them on what professional testing companies do.

D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
With all these threads that are made. I think you should not judge them off the results that other people do, you should do the tests yourself and see what results you get not judge them on what professional testing companies do.

+1

''Trust no one but yourself, and sometimes don't even trust yourself'' - Umbrapolaris -

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's say from its features, interface and components could generally tell which product may better but performance and detection is different since a change on daily basis.

P

Plexx

I have tried both and personally did not like AVG nor its past versions.

Avast I first used was 4.6 and it was ok.

In terms of usability both have improved, although Avast's old UI allowed skins which was a +, but now everyone is stuck to the same skin. Not to say it is not good, dont get me wrong, it is user friendly, but just doesnt allow customization of the UI unlike the old version which had the blue icon.

In terms of detection from my tests, Avast is slightly more superior.

In terms of Components, AVG Free lacks some features that Avast covers, but then Avast also has useless (in my opinion) features, whichs requires the user to do a custom install to get rid of them (unless you can disable inside Avast, but I never checked).

As for Usage, Avast is lighter.

Those are my opinions, so my vote: Avast.

Still willing to give AVG another try though since I am looking for some alternatives.

RDTatel

Jan 1, 2012
I am using avast and i like it but on a test that i did a while ago like about 4 weeks ago AVG detected more malware than avast, but i don't know how is avast doing now, i will test it again to see.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
If u are talking about on-demand detection with a pack of malware u will need to omit the obvious FP samples and old ones...and in pro-active u need to elimnate the non-malware links [from Malc0de if u use it]

Just wanted to grab you people's attention here
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99605.msg794508;boardseen#new

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
*You.

AVG and Avast both sit in the same boat for me, but having Avast installed on all PCs on our network, so can tell which one I prefer.

Edit: An infected user using AVG. How does this relate to test results for May 2012?

spleentechie

Jun 25, 2012
I like Avast! antivirus. Because I have a windows XP computer with only 1 gigabyte of ram I find AVG's many processes too high a price for an anti-virus with many flaws. In my tests(I use a windows 2000 Virtual Machine with 1 gigabyte of ram) Avast! outperforms AVG in known and unknown malware blocking and was only marginally behind in malware detection during a scan. All in all I think that the added features in Avast, less processes and superior blocking makes Avast! antivirus my choice between the two.(My current config is Avast! antivirus, Norton DNS, and Comodo firewall with HMP and MBAM as my second option scanners)

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Considering malware detection,I and earth know whats wrong with the on demand scanner...u will have to turn on all packers to make avast scan all packers...as these malware packs contain a lot of packed malware in different packer...so the all packer settings needs to be selected...:)
also PUP scan needs to be turned on

I did some test with the default scan settings and it really missed a lot of malware...that it detects on custom settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.