App Review AVG Internet Security BETA prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I personally don't see the need at all of keeping the two products. AVG is now just Avast, but insted of a orange colered version, they used the colors of AVG. If you look at the signature names, it's all Avast, even the server downloads the same .vpx files like Avast does. The zero day components are Avast's components, like that one deepscreen alert we saw and the currently still useless cybercapture (I hope it will get better when it's developed further, don't get me wrong), but where is the good old AVG's Identity protection? A shame that we don't get alert from it anymore. I expected more from the merge of the two products, but it turns out they just throw away AVG and made a rebranded Avast. Not that AVG was so strong on all fields, but from what I saw in the video, there is no single piece of AVG left on this product.
The product itself performed good and has a good detection, but Avast will get exactly the same, so I don't see the reason why they keep AVG. They could use the hours to develop and transform AVG to Avast by making Avast itself stronger imo.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I personally don't see the need at all of keeping the two products. AVG is now just Avast, but insted of a orange colered version, they used the colors of AVG. If you look at the signature names, it's all Avast, even the server downloads the same .vpx files like Avast does. The zero day components are Avast's components, like that one deepscreen alert we saw and the currently still useless cybercapture (I hope it will get better when it's developed further, don't get me wrong), but where is the good old AVG's Identity protection? A shame that we don't get alert from it anymore. I expected more from the merge of the two products, but it turns out they just throw away AVG and made a rebranded Avast. Not that AVG was so strong on all fields, but from what I saw in the video, there is no single piece of AVG left on this product.
The product itself performed good and has a good detection, but Avast will get exactly the same, so I don't see the reason why they keep AVG. They could use the hours to develop and transform AVG to Avast by making Avast itself stronger imo.

It's not the same as they target different consumers as well as management. They also don't want to instantly alienate one or another group of users so the merging will be a gradual thing over the years. The reason why AVG currently looks like avast! is because they used avast! infrastructure and backend as foundation on which they'll port AVG detection and cloud systems. Since we are only at BETA2 so far, not much has been ported apart from Software Analyzer (IDP). The rest will follow and will happen for the late January, early February 2017 release for both, AVG and avast!.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014

I think they should go for a complete rebrand, root and branch overhaul and come up with a new product ?

Interesting problem though, just so long as they don`t call it AVgast or something like that.:D

Regards Eck:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ok Avast and AVG acquisition is already existed on that beta product.

However the problem here where adding certain features without any improvements will cause the product go worse instead.

(prime example on the video: Deepscreen became ineffective, Software Analyzer seems defeats on that certain test)

AVG with Software Analyzer is indeed good, however why not they should conduct much deeper on the implementation. I mean the AVG staff should consider some of the features for approval first.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I'd say they've looked into AVG's cloud and updating infrastructure and decided it's not efficient or modular enough, it's why they used avast!'s foundations and they'll merge AVG's signatures into it somehow. They left IDP alone in form of Software Analyzer. I sure hope they will work hard on it and make Software Analyzer even more modular and able to react even faster and be upgraded easier in order to provide better behavior protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.