App Review AVG Internet Security Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Do you think AVG is a good product?

• Yes

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • No

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
This is my test and review of AVG Internet Security. If anyone has any questions regarding the video you can comment on this post or leave a comment on the video. Also if you guys have suggestions about how I should do my reviews in the future please let me know as I always try to make these reviews as good as possible to my ability.I also created a poll on this post to see what other users think of AVG, and again thank you to everyone who has welcomed me the past week to the forums! :)

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
(Take this as a critic:) Your tests are reminding me to MalwareBlocker`s tests bacause he uses old samples too (or samples on public sites that have already a high detection rate). What about contacting Jack? He could maybe give you access to the HUB. You will find there not so many samples but you'll find samples that are very good for testing. I would like to see tests with better samples than tests with 400 samples with high detection rate. Just a tip :D Keep up the good work :D!

P.S.: I would remove the CompTIA watermark. That's the same thing like with the "Microsoft certified" mark that is being abused by scammers. I want to say with this that your video is looking like a meme with this watermark. It's like: Heeey! People see! I'm CompTIA certified and my tests are because of this much better!

Last edited:

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
@Alikhan They are using the same sig but avg behavior blocker is better than Avast.

The behavior blocker is exactly the same. There can be a slight variance in the results - say you run a sample and it's not detected by Avast and you run the AVG test 15 mins later, the chances are the cloud would have classified the sample therefore the behavior blocker would have passed that test. The same for when AVG misses and Avast detects, you can look at the Malware Hub at some of the previous posts, you'll see the trend.

L

Local Host

I won't be voting cause I don't consider AVG neither good nor bad but average, it has improved however since Avast took over.

I suggest testing with newer malware to properly check the AVs efficiency, also keep in mind performance hit goes beyond RAM (CPU Cycles and HDD I/O that should be watched carefully).

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
(Take this as a critic:) Your tests are reminding me to MalwareBlocker`s tests bacause he uses old samples too (or samples on public sites that have already a high detection rate). What about contacting Jack? He could maybe give you access to the HUB. You will find there not so many samples but you'll find samples that are very good for testing. I would like to see tests with better samples than tests with 400 samples with high detection rate. Just a tip :D Keep up the good work :D!

P.S.: I would remove the CompTIA watermark. That's the same thing like with the "Microsoft certified" mark that is being abused by scammers. I want to say with this that your video is looking like a meme with this watermark. It's like: Heeey! People see! I'm CompTIA certified and my tests are because of this much better!

I won't be voting cause I don't consider AVG neither good nor bad but average, it has improved however since Avast took over.

I suggest testing with newer malware to properly check the AVs efficiency, also keep in mind performance hit goes beyond RAM (CPU Cycles and HDD I/O that should be watched carefully).

@askalan thanks for the feedback! and that would be that a big help! I Actually typically Virussign and TestMyAV as my sample sources but if I could find samples that don't have high detection rate would actually make these test a lot better. I will remove the watermark on my video as suggested as well! :)

@Local Host I agree that this product has improved since Avast bought the company! I Will actually do an Avast review to see how much difference will these product show if at all just for my curiosity. And also thank you for your feedback, I will definitely take your suggestion! :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
For me AVG feels like nothing more than a stripped back version of Avast since it was bought. Sure, it's now got a ton of more threat data to work with since it's shared between the two products but the atrocious UI, forced AVG Zen usage and the inability to opt out of non-security related data collection make it inferior in my eyes.

Reactions: brambedkar59

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for the review mate , well done! since me being a " retired " AVG hall of famer / guru from a few years back , is like a breath of fresh air , to see that my highschool sweatheart isdoing so well! I think it kind of sucks that avast bought AVG a while back , so kuddos for them for still being better than avast :p the only negative of AVG is that they force that lame zen moduledown your throat and even pester paying customers with adds for other paid products!

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
For me AVG feels like nothing more than a stripped back version of Avast since it was bought. Sure, it's now got a ton of more threat data to work with since it's shared between the two products but the atrocious UI, forced AVG Zen usage and the inability to opt out of non-security related data collection make it inferior in my eyes.

Thanks for the review mate , well done! since me being a " retired " AVG hall of famer / guru from a few years back , is like a breath of fresh air , to see that my highschool sweatheart isdoing so well! I think it kind of sucks that avast bought AVG a while back , so kuddos for them for still being better than avast :p the only negative of AVG is that they force that lame zen moduledown your throat and even pester paying customers with adds for other paid products!

I actually didn't even have AVG Zen installed on this test which to me was the weird part. If I'm correct, that UI is supposed to come with this program as well but it didn't get installed during this test.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I actually didn't even have AVG Zen installed on this test which to me was the weird part. If I'm correct, that UI is supposed to come with this program as well but it didn't get installed during this test.
Strange. Maybe it's not included with their paid-for solutions or maybe they removed it altogether.

Reactions: AlanOstaszewski

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.