Advice Request AVG is a mess!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hello! Yesterday I tried to install AVG Internet Security on my sister's laptop (I have a two-year unlimited devices license). I logged in to AVG account and I was shocked that the "unlimited" devices license turned to "10 devices" instead. I download the online installer, chose the components I need and clicked install. The installation took unreasonably long time (never happened to me) and opening task manager indicated too many AVG processes with huge resources consumption. For now obvious reason the installation failed. I restarted the laptop and ran the setup again and it failed again. What is happening?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello! Yesterday I tried to install AVG Internet Security on my sister's laptop (I have a two-year unlimited devices license). I logged in to AVG account and I was shocked that the "unlimited" devices license turned to "10 devices" instead. I download the online installer, chose the components I need and clicked install. The installation took unreasonably long time (never happened to me) and opening task manager indicated too many AVG processes with huge resources consumption. For now obvious reason the installation failed. I restarted the laptop and ran the setup again and it failed again. What is happening?
Can't you better go with Bitdefender or Kaspersky Free for your sister's laptop?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Can't you better go with Bitdefender or Kaspersky Free for your sister's laptop?
Well, she likes AVG and I have always enabled hardened mode for her. She's literally a happy clicker and she tries to disable virus protection (so I protected AVG settings with a password lol). I have contacted AVG support but there will be a delay in getting a response. Will these two products you suggested be enough for her?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
See if it has residues from other antivirus installations. Or old residues from AVG. If you want for fast search use this : Downloads - voidtools

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Well, she likes AVG and I have always enabled hardened mode for her. She's literally a happy clicker and she tries to disable virus protection (so I protected AVG settings with a password lol). I have contacted AVG support but there will be a delay in getting a response. Will these two products you suggested be enough for her?
A difficult one for happy clickers, so not really sure, but I think Kaspersky has the most modules for protection out of those 2, but needs some tweaking, look for posts from @Evjl's Rain and @harlan4096 . Bitdefender is set and forget and really liked by @oldschool . There is only one way to find out... 🤔

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
AVG may have bad reviews for data protection. But like antivirus it is one of the best if you set it right.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
A difficult one for happy clickers, so not really sure, but I think Kaspersky has the most modules for protection out of those 2, but needs some tweaking, look for posts from @Evjl's Rain and @harlan4096 . Bitdefender is set and forget and really liked by @oldschool . There is only one way to find out... 🤔
If the laptop have 8gb ram Bitdefender free is very good antivirus for your sister. Is light and instal and forget.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Hi everyone,

I`m glad to announce that new beta version is ready - 20.2.3115 (build 20.2.5125).

What was fixed
Fixed issue with firewall blocking PPTP and L2TP traffic
Fixed issue with failed installation on Windows 10 caused by windows update pending (user will be informed that he has to restart PC to successfully install AV) Oppp your problem i think is here :unsure:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hi everyone,

I`m glad to announce that new beta version is ready - 20.2.3115 (build 20.2.5125).

What was fixed
Fixed issue with firewall blocking PPTP and L2TP traffic
Fixed issue with failed installation on Windows 10 caused by windows update pending (user will be informed that he has to restart PC to successfully install AV) Oppp your problem i think is here :unsure:
Then I should wait for the final release? This is not an option for me (I can not leave her device unprotected for two days). Her laptop is equipped with 16 GBs of ram and corei7, so I believe it can handle anything.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Then I should wait for the final release? This is not an option for me (I can not leave her device unprotected for two days). Her laptop is equipped with 16 GBs of ram and corei7, so I believe it can handle anything.
16GB RAM?? Instal Bitdefender free now. Is very good antivirus. I test it before 10 days and he impressed me with both his protection and his performance.

If is your first time to install Bitdefender free. Here you can see how disable the ads ;)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
It seems that AVG is introducing a lot of changes. The installation takes a very long time to complete.

They are now offering their browser extension again but I think they had a privacy awakening lol

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
does the problem of AVG firewall we were talking about lately fixed or still there?? thanks
I am currently using AVG IS 20.2.3116 Build 20.2.5130.568 and the issue is still there, unfortunately.

AVAST happened.

Move on.
Well, believe it or not but AVG in their latest version is very very light and seems to be well-optimised. I really like it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McAfee is also very light and well-optimised.

Back on topic, AVG was the superior product before Avast came along and dissected it. Does AVG still retains it's own IDP module, or did Avast remove it?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Avast and Avg are the same, malware dressed as antivirus. Install a real antivirus, such as Bitdefender, Eset or Kaspersky (although the latter slowed my system down too much). Even windows defender is better than Avast and Avg.
You are sure for that???

Reactions: bribon77

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.