AVG safeguard is still there

BbqBacon

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2014
While going through my computer files I've found two files with avg or safeguard-safe search in the name. The avg file is a Jscript file which dates back to January of this year before I started having issues and the other is an XML doc which dates back in November of 2013. I'm not really sure if either of them mean anything but part of me wants to delete them.I found both files in my Mozilla Firefox program files and not really anywhere else outside of quarantine files so I don't know if they mean anything but I thought I'd run it by you first.

tlacenka

Level 2
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
maybe only stupid question, but
have you tried to uninstall it via control panel/add or remove programs (programs and features) - there is "avg toolbar" (just tried it in virtual mashine), but it makes everything "like before" (i close the browser before uninstalling)

BbqBacon

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2014
That was the first thing I looked for when I noticed it and read the step by step guide yet I didn't find that program at all which made me think the issue was elsewhere because it makes no sense for the safe search to still be there even after I've covered most of the known methods of removal. Every search I've done on the net tell me to delete it both off of Firefox and my computer which I've already done and recheck every chance I get yet when I open a new tab it's there, mocking me. There's a link on the page that asks me to restore default tabs which works for one tab once and then goes back to avg's main page which makes me wonder why they even bothered to put it there.

BbqBacon

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2014
There was an extension but it was removed either by the restart add on from the guide or by adwcleaner. I went to the troubleshooting page and tried to find anything remotely close to either avg or safe search and nothing came up. I have had thoughts of just resetting or reinstalling firefox but I wanted to do that last if no other method could remove this.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

Delete the files you found if they are still out there. Tell me how is the situation now?

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    679 bytes · Views: 190

BbqBacon

Thread author
Verified
Mar 27, 2014
Victory at last my good sir! Originally after I ran the script I was able to open one tab and was faced with avg but now I've opened nearly ten or twelve just to be sure and not a single avg related page showed up. If at all possible could you tell me where exactly the avg issue was? And I'd like to thank you for your time and effort these past few days.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 189

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
There was one AVG file left :)

I can recommend you this software to avoid Adware in the future:

http://unchecky.com/

Read here how it works --> http://www.howtogeek.com/179758/how-to-avoid-junkware-offers-with-unchecky/

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

Reactions: BbqBacon

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.