Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm using Avira free, so I'm already groovy like that lol. I actually like the older GUI,... and they made the Launcher look better, no more "green leaf" and heavy resourses. :)

I also like AVGs newer one a lot.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Reactions: Polygon and JB007

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Avira Security Suite + Avira Antivirus + Avira Scout Browser (all free) is a good combo
Avira Scout Browser is nothing interesting, it's just Chromium with few addons. Original Chromium/Chrome, Opera or Firefox + Avira Browser Safety are much better.

This pc optimization is total crap!...and trial...
Run ONE time and show TRIAL EXPIRED!?!?
That's why I like Emsisoft or ESET - no bullshit like PC optimizer, just protection stuff. Or Avast, when you can install only protection shields.

I don't like Avira because of this crap and its launcher, etc... But I'm in love with the Browser Safety :D

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Anti-ransomware protection improved? What do they mean?
avira.PNG

L

LabZero

I am interested to see the 22 people that voted no, the reason behind it.
Avira has a sort of Behavior based Detection, but its current technology is mainly based on excellent signatures.
If this approach was good a few years ago, now it is becoming obsolete for the reasons that we know.
Avira is a serious company and probably is working on new implementations in this direction.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Avira has a sort of Behavior based Detection, but its current technology is mainly based on excellent signatures.
If this approach was good a few years ago, now it is becoming obsolete for the reasons that we know.
Avira is a serious company and probably is working on new implementations in this direction.
doesn't change the fact that does provide decent protection for the average user. If we go by such concept, WD is out of the window for starters right?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
thanks for the share @Av Gurus
it's well... with some questions regarding the Sanboxing, BB, HIPS, UI, Launcher and any other today's AV layers or features that a lot people are curious, still the new editions are not much changed, I'm curious what makes Avira so confident

It is through their strong signature based, alongside of Heuristics and APC (cloud).

However their possible BB nor any mechanistic protection is not totally present on paid version very well.

I believe the improved ransomware protection is part of their current signatures/cloud.

M

MiserableHumanBeing

There's no real reason to even think about installing this failure that they call the "2017 version". "2017" is misleading, it is actually worse than their 2008-2009 releases. It should be named Avira 1995. It's goddamn fall 2016 and they can't even come with an attempt for a zero-day component. I tried to install it on my VM (waste of time) and it throws a lot of unwanted crapware. What a shame.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Long time ago in was my eye in head but from past few years this program work like cow and in some pc make issues
i still use it but only as boot cd scanner on pendrive...

Reactions: Polygon and JB007

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
So, does Avira have ProActiv in the latest version? I know they had an issue with false positives in the past.
Avira Antivirus update cripples millions of Windows PCs | ZDNet
Have you checked the date of the article? May 15 2012 more than 4 years ago! All companies have had at least one big blunder, and it's not fair to stick it to the 2017 edition.

Furthermore I'd like to quote a statement by an Avira employee about Avira's behavior detection from a post at Wilders
Behaviour detection is still one of the parts for protecting our users and goes hand in hand with our Cloud detection (APC). The protection evolved years ago to the next level by using automated machine learning with our NightWish (internal name) technology that is supporting the APC in background.
Maximum protection in a free antivirus - Avira Blog
Evolutionary Antivirus - Avira Blog [QUOTE/]

Avira post # 4566

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
I am interested to see the 22 people that voted no, the reason behind it.

I have tested the previous Avira Internet Security last year on two PCs and it did not run very smoothly on these two PCs, with some slowdown:(

Reactions: Polygon
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.