• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
If they reverted back to the program setup they had in like 2006-2007 added a better cloud then what they have now. got rid of that dang system scanner after every detection I would gladly use this prgram again (I heavily used/supported it back in 2007) unless they revert I doubt I'll ever use it full time again. Kinda sad imo :(

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
They literally killed their antivirus when they forced their stupid launcher garbage on us. I wouldn't ever consider using it solely because of the launcher.

I used to feel that way, and the Launcher was kinda heavy on RAM (for no real reason)
BUT,

I think they improved it, it ties all the programs into a more UI look. No silly extra leaf and blank picture anymore, Now its called Avira "CONNECT" and its just your Avira programs in a row for easy access letting u know if they are on or installed, really not too bad IMHO.

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

They literally killed their antivirus when they forced their stupid launcher garbage on us. I wouldn't ever consider using it solely because of the launcher.
I agree! At least it isn't as bad as AVG launcher. :oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: Polygon

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
I think they improved it, it ties all the programs into a more UI look. No silly extra leaf and blank picture anymore, Now its called Avira "CONNECT" and its just your Avira programs in a row for easy access letting u know if they are on or installed, really not too bad IMHO.
I agree, it is really part of the Avira GUI, it has no influence in the detection capabilities of Avira which is superlative nowadays. What is the main function of an AV? To detect and stop malware from infecting your system. Avira Connect is gratuitous criticism for gratuitous software...

Reactions: Faybert and Jack

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I used to feel that way, and the Launcher was kinda heavy on RAM (for no real reason)
BUT,

Yeah, well, it's not direct access if I only want AV and there is this retarded middle interface there for what? It's stupid. Yeah, sure, it has good detection. And that's pretty much it. We also have cars that go 350 km/h and yet that doesn't make them the best cars in the world. Do you get the analogy?

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Yeah, well, it's not direct access if I only want AV and there is this retarded middle interface there for what? It's stupid. Yeah, sure, it has good detection. And that's pretty much it. We also have cars that go 350 km/h and yet that doesn't make them the best cars in the world. Do you get the analogy?

I agree, I was an Avira user for years, but when they put that Avira Connect on, I ran out and was forced to install another AV. Avira has one of the worst interfaces, outdated and increasingly retrograde.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Any long time Avira user & fan here?
I have been an avira free fan for some time, but I'm not using it. The reason why most of you doesn't like is that, In my opinion, it's a product made for beginners. It is a top product to use on Windows 7. Reasons why I like it:
- PUPs enabled by default in realtime protection: some beginners keep installing a lot of programs, and this way Avira will block the unwanted ones
-Top- tier signatures: nothing to say
- Excellent protection at default settings: you don't need to tweak avira, because it's excellent at default settings. Beginners usually don't tweak AVs, so this is the one for them

What I don't like:
- It can't be used as a stand-alone product: the product doesn't have any Behavioural blocker, but this problem can be easily solved using avira with voodooshield free
- Removal process

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Any long time Avira user & fan here?
I've been using it for about ten years, and it was not always without problems of course, but overall I've never run into issues that were deal breakers. In the last 3 years it has been flawless and its detection was always top notch.

No infections whatsoever, as a matter of fact I don't scan my system anymore, MBAM and HitmanPro have never found anything in years as second opinion scanners. Now I would like to add that the same results could have been achieved with other top AV companies, I personally believe the internet is not so badly infested with malware as they want us to believe...

What I like about Avira Pro? Excellent discounts if one cares to find out, great detection, minimal system impact, good support and last but not least Avira received the Product of the Year 2016 award at AV Comparatives...

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
- It can't be used as a stand-alone product: the product doesn't have any Behavioural blocker
Please correct if I'm wrong, but it seems Avira has a kind of BB.

"Avira Antivirus contains also a behaviour based detection of suspicious files. Based on that files will be or not analyzed in the cloud. The layers are signature, heuristic, behaviour and cloud based detections."

Avira Answers

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I've tried Avira multiple times (diff PCs) and it has been great at protection. However, their obtrusive popups and packaging always spoils the peace of mind.
I would rather invest in its signatures and use 360 TSE for enhanced functionality for free again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.