Avira Antivirus 2019 Experience

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Whatever computer I tried Avira on, it always brought it to its knees. Its detection might be great, but it is the heaviest AV I know, even worse than WD. I do not understand, how can it excel on other computers, but I guess, there are other variables involved. I never recommend it, rather Adaware.
On my system is one of the most light antivirus. But here many persons found KFA light and on my system is heavy. Especialy boot time need i day to open my laptop.

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Thank you very much for your feedback, all of you. I’m still surprised that Avira is heavy on some machines. I still like it for it’s great signatures and it’s privacy policie though they are working with third party companies. About web protection, I’m not sure yet. Adding AdGuard desktop version makes me feel better. I will probably give Emsisoft web protection a try and might add Cylance.

Around Xmas I gave Thor premium a try but the product felt kind of beta release. I don’t know, but it just did not convince me. So my conclusion with regards to so called “best Antivirus” ( being aware thats an illusion): Commodo Firewall with CS settings is theoretically a great solution but too buggy for me, Kaspersky being one of the best solutions on the market but by fat too much system impact. So there’s just Eset, Norton and Avira left...

The only one left I did not try is Panda...

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
The way I think of security systems when helping my own clients, friends & family, is think about their needs, what their day to day tasks are, then on top of this if they're tech savvy enough you can advise more comprehensive protection and even enter into App Whitelisting is this is something that oneself prefers.

How I approach security setups for my own personal system is different compared to clientele, friend or family. For myself I go for the lightest possible, but making sure I don't miss out on crucial protection. Webroot is the lightest AV I've used, but I have found their fundamental floor is detection, hence why I've paired this with Binisoft Firewall Control, fairly light too. The attack surfaces I have covered are as follows below:

Binisoft Firewall Control ~ Keyloggers, Botnets, Certain Ransomware with C&C's, anything malicious making an outbound connection
Webroot ~ General Malware
Syshardener ~ Firewall Rules, Lockdown on OS, Exploits
Windows Defender
MBAM/Zam Free ~ On demand scanners
NVT Connections Viewer ~ Looking at all connection from a UDP and TCP level, with IPs
PatchMyPC ~ Keeping all software up to date

Everything for me is covered without going completely overkill on anything, whilst not getting in the way of my daily tasks, having knowledge of the notifications that come through via Binisoft and knowing what to allow and what to disallow.

~LDogg

Momus

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Very good food for thoughts LDogg! A few years ago I started off using Kaspersky Internet Security and I felt it’s way oversized and does have a solid system impact. Nowadays I’m looking for a solution that is light on my system resources with a solid protection. I feel that pure signature based software seems missing the trend if looking at current malware. That’s why I decided investing in a much better piece of a Gryphon router ( including Eset) providing better web protection. The only thing I’m still not able to finally decide is what kind of software I should be running behind it. Looking at your setup I have doubts I would be able to run the show. I think - with regards to my personal aspects I have to figure out how to improve web protection and keep my emails safe. Apart of this thread, life might be too short to find out about the best security . May I ask, what are your thoughts about privacy?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thank you very much for your feedback, all of you. I’m still surprised that Avira is heavy on some machines. I still like it for it’s great signatures and it’s privacy policie though they are working with third party companies. About web protection, I’m not sure yet. Adding AdGuard desktop version makes me feel better. I will probably give Emsisoft web protection a try and might add Cylance.

Around Xmas I gave Thor premium a try but the product felt kind of beta release. I don’t know, but it just did not convince me. So my conclusion with regards to so called “best Antivirus” ( being aware thats an illusion): Commodo Firewall with CS settings is theoretically a great solution but too buggy for me, Kaspersky being one of the best solutions on the market but by fat too much system impact. So there’s just Eset, Norton and Avira left...

The only one left I did not try is Panda...
Avira is not a bad product, I used it years ago and it has good signatures. It lacks a behavior detector but can be combined with Comodo Firewall which has a good HIPS.
What I don't like about Avira is that they give you an unnecessary package.:giggle:

And not if Avira is now compatible with Comodo?:unsure:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
In theory if you're after something that's light look for Cloud AVs. An Av is just one layer of protection most people use, hence why a second layer under the AV should be an AV Firewall like Comodo or Zonealarm or FW only software like Binisoft Firewall Control (if you have enough knowledge).

A set up as an example you could use: Immunet, Binisoft Firewall Control, Syshardener, Windows Defender w/ Configure Defender. The example is light, no bloatware and fantastic range of protection and attack surfaces covered. Or another example, VoodooShield + Comodo Firewall w/ no AV. VoodooShield is what I'd call an Appplication Whitelisting software. Excellent if you have knowledge on software, backed up up with CFW HIPS component you have fab cover, however this example is more user dependent.

Examples used are to show the different paths you could take based off what your needs & experience. :)

~LDogg

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I tried the pay version few months ago & really disliked the launcher? The whole install felt overly complicated added to which I really don't like the tray icon put it on my don't try again for a while list :) (It's true about the icon)

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Avira now is light weight, some of my colleagues use Avira Free on their machines at the office, and I've seen they have no problem regarding the performance. as I work at EPC company, Avira catchs a lot of AutoCAD virus like something called 'lsp' 'burst' or something. I see it a lot on Avira log. it's good product. as long as you know what to open and where to visit, whatever AV you choose is enough

Reactions: Cortex and Weebarra

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I’ve been testing Avira Antivirus 2019 since about two weeks. Think it’s extremely light weight and it’s running smoothly like Norton or Eset. Reading through the forum it feels like most guys over here seem to dislike the product. I do understand that Avira installer offers a lot of additional features, such as Privacy Pal, safe shopping and so on. Call it bloatware or simply just don’t install. Is there some facts I’m missing such as miserable protection? Even privacy reads reasonable...
Anyway, I really appreciate your feedback and advice. By the way, I’m sitting behind a Gryphon router, great product by the way (thanks to Sly Guys recommendation).

been trying Avira for 2 days. it's very lightweight. I just dont like the bundle included on the installation but it can be removed.

Capture.JPG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1 very important thing I notice about avira proactive protection: it's almost non-existent against fileless malwares
=> unacceptable for a well-known AV in 2019

Avira pro is a lot more responsive against malwares than Avira free (avira free's cloud is usually sleeping)

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
1 very important thing I notice about avira proactive protection: it's almost non-existent against fileless malwares
=> unacceptable for a well-known AV in 2019

Avira pro is a lot more responsive against malwares than Avira free (avira free's cloud is usually sleeping)
Now that I do the tests with Avira free the cloud works better from before and have and web filter. It s probably upgraded .With syshardener the results I see are better than just a few months before I tested it. Remains very lightweight program with good protection. I like it this time.

But attention. I say in the comment good protection but for Avira. Compared to Kaspersky free and Avast free it's much worse. For an average user who wants a lightweight protection is good enough.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
If anyone wants to install Avira free without bloatware. Download it from here Avira Antivirus 15 Full version Standalone Installer Full Setup Download
and custom install with attension.
Thank you so much. I had a license for Avira Pro but was reluctant to use it since the Avira installer includes so much bloat. But this installer is Bingo. I just inserted the product key and voila. Avira with Syshardener is a very good combo and for those who are still paranoid, add Cylance with Avira Free/Pro and you're good to go.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.