Advice Request Avira Antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
this looks fake to me, not 100% sure, VT and metadefender multiengine scans showed it was clean
for me, only these 3 + avira browser safety (was hidden by avira) are legit
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
T

TrinitronMSDOS

Just checked it and it seems suspicious. There is no mention of this extension on Avira's website, there are only 3000 users, 5 reviews and it's fairly new (september 2017). It also has a very short description unlike other Avira's extension. Searching Google with the direct link to this extension brings up... 3 results. So i would not install this extension and consider it suspicious until proven otherwise. You could eventually contact Avira and send them the link if your really want a definitive answer.

For the record, Avira has an extension protecting your browser. It was called Avira Browser Safety but it recently changed to Avira Safe Shopping (the link to Avira Browser Safety now redirects to the new extension). So i would highly suggest installing this extension instead as it's the official from Avira. The change of name indicates that the focus is now more on "shopping protection" than anything else. And by that, read "we will redirect you to sponsored stores to make money", a practice i dislike in security companies. But if it's web blocking is still as good as before, it's definitely worth a try.

Avast Online Safety and McAfee SECURE are two other good alternatives.

As a rule, i would suggest to download extensions directly from the official website or by making sure it is the real deal (in the store since a long time, lots of users, positive reviews, etc...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.