Advice Request Avira Browser Safety Removal

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
So, I uninstalled Avira free from my computer, removed the plugins from my browsers, and also deleted the leftover folders from my hard drive. As far as I'm concerned Avira should be completely gone from my PC, but its not :/

Recently I clean installed Chrome (yes, I deleted the old Chrome folders before reinstalling) just to fix some errors I was having and noticed that Avira Browser Safety was trying to install itself!

I was under the impression that Avira was gone because I uninstalled it and deleted the folders but obviously some leftover is hiding on my PC somewhere :/

Does anyone know where its hiding so I can get rid of it? Its unacceptable that such a reputable company would do something so annoying :/

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
No I don't sync anything. It is also happening with Firefox after clean install as well so I'm not sure where its installing itself from...

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Google chrome go to options , extensions disable or avira browser safety to recycle bin
In firefox options , extensions you can remove it
Or open the avira icon in your browser , options -> you can choose to uninstall ABS
Also try to use Avira registry cleaner Download Avira Registry Cleaner | Official Website

also with Ccleaner if you have it

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxygen

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Locate the specific addon/extension from Google Chrome and Firefox folder as possible then take a manual delete, that should not replicate an issue rise again.

mmm345

Mar 21, 2016
So, I uninstalled Avira free from my computer, removed the plugins from my browsers, and also deleted the leftover folders from my hard drive. As far as I'm concerned Avira should be completely gone from my PC, but its not :/

Recently I clean installed Chrome (yes, I deleted the old Chrome folders before reinstalling) just to fix some errors I was having and noticed that Avira Browser Safety was trying to install itself!

I was under the impression that Avira was gone because I uninstalled it and deleted the folders but obviously some leftover is hiding on my PC somewhere :/

Does anyone know where its hiding so I can get rid of it? Its unacceptable that such a reputable company would do something so annoying :/

Nobody seems to understand what you are talking about, but I do!

This is how you permanently remove it:
1. In Chrome extensions, enable developer mode.
2. locate extension id, it will be something like this: ID: kjhsfkjhsfgkjhgdfjgkhdfkjg
3. start regedit, search for the id.
4. delete all keys (they look like folders) you find. (there should be two)

If you don't see the extension (because you have "removed" it), click the little person button at the top right corner of Chrome, click switch person and add a new person. Avira should auto-install, and then you can remove it for real by following the steps.

In my case, the extension id was flliilndjeohchalpbbcdekjklbdgfkk , maybe it's the same everywhere. So just open regedit and search for that first. If nothing is found, follow the steps.

Slipstream

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 6, 2015
Nobody seems to understand what you are talking about, but I do!

This is how you permanently remove it:
1. In Chrome extensions, enable developer mode.
2. locate extension id, it will be something like this: ID: kjhsfkjhsfgkjhgdfjgkhdfkjg
3. start regedit, search for the id.
4. delete all keys (they look like folders) you find. (there should be two)

If you don't see the extension (because you have "removed" it), click the little person button at the top right corner of Chrome, click switch person and add a new person. Avira should auto-install, and then you can remove it for real by following the steps.

In my case, the extension id was flliilndjeohchalpbbcdekjklbdgfkk , maybe it's the same everywhere. So just open regedit and search for that first. If nothing is found, follow the steps.

Thank you! I'm extremely pedantic about how software behaves on my PC, to the point where I clean install my OS every few months :D This may seem overkill to some people but I can't help it, I really hate when applications do things they don't tell you about in the descriptions and in Avira's case, the extension may not be malicious but it hides on my PC without my permission waiting to reinstall itself and that's a massive "hell no" in my book :D

TL;DR
Thank you, your method worked a charm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.