Advice Request Avira flags IObit PUA to Trojan Issue

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JW123

Thread author
Mar 21, 2017
Now that Avira has re-classified IOBit related files as Trojans, how do I suspend or stop Avira’s constant nag popups related to Avira’s IOBit reclassifications? If I completely uninstall all the IOBit related applications and files from my PC and connected exterior storage devices, will that stop or get rid of the IOBit related Avira popups?

Can someone please tell me or direct me to a source to completely uninstall all the IOBit applications on my PC? I’ve tried uninstalling all the IOBit applications prior Avira re-classifying IOBit related files as Trojans, without complete success.

Also, can my PC be harmed if I don’t do anything with all the Quarantine files shown in the Avira Quarantine and Event Logs (Files Attached below)? What do you recommend I do with them?

Attachments

• Avira Quarantaene Log 1.txt
    196.9 KB · Views: 690
  • Avira Events 1.txt
    128.5 KB · Views: 795
Reactions: Xsjx and Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Maybe its a false positive and you can report it to Avira.
You can also add them to exeptions.
Or you have cracked them and Avira detects the crack.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
The Avira detections are related to leftovers of uninstalled Iobit programs.
You can use Everything Search by typing "Iobit" in the search box, then deleting all the found references.
In the quarantine there are also older detections, if they are related to uninstalled applications, then you can delete these detections without problems.
However, the quarantine is a protected area and no malware or suspicious files can get out, so no problem if you do not delete its content.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Quarantined files are protected you are safe to keep them in there. If you think they are false positives you can upload them to Avira for analysis and they will fix it in the next vdf update. They usually get back to me within 2 days. https://analysis.avira.com/en/submit

Last edited:
Reactions: Rengar

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Now that Avira has re-classified IOBit related files as Trojans, how do I suspend or stop Avira’s constant nag popups related to Avira’s IOBit reclassifications? If I completely uninstall all the IOBit related applications and files from my PC and connected exterior storage devices, will that stop or get rid of the IOBit related Avira popups?

Can someone please tell me or direct me to a source to completely uninstall all the IOBit applications on my PC? I’ve tried uninstalling all the IOBit applications prior Avira re-classifying IOBit related files as Trojans, without complete success.

Also, can my PC be harmed if I don’t do anything with all the Quarantine files shown in the Avira Quarantine and Event Logs (Files Attached below)? What do you recommend I do with them?
Iobit is unwanted software and not trustable
Avira is right And Malwarebytes too
Antivirus scan for e1a4d04941daaddc03bb8b9da4a7e5243a375805592e254188bc73533aef63cd at 2017-03-18 21:38:09 UTC - VirusTotal

Look here for everything.. ^

Also this may interest you Q&A - Advanced System Care By IObit detected by Malwarebytes as PUP. Is it really a PUP?

Last edited:
Reactions: Thirio and Rengar

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Iobit is unwanted software and not trustable
This is not true. They have some good software like iobit uninstaller(probably one of the best free ones), driver booster(quit good too). the only thing they do when u install free software from them is that it install other software from them too, if u dont click to not install and that isnt realy hard.to say they are not trustable is abit false i would say..

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

Zerion

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Well, as always if you are suspicious, search online for the file, reputation, hashes, online scanners, vt, etc.. Shadow Defender, Sandbox, VM.

And make up your own conclusion.. I can confirm that iobit is trustworthy, But yes i also think it's on the pup/pua, adware, road in some ways :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
People, sometimes, cannot differentiate between a PUP and Malware when flagged by their (favourite) Security or online analysis tools.

I use IObit Uninstaller Pro and have not seen any malicious behaviours.

IObit can be trusted as a system utility software, but as with most freeware, software wrappers may come with additional software, known as PUP/PUA to most. For this I recommend trying Unchecky.com, which is free and operates in the background.

You can make your own judgement if you want to keep using IObit or not. An exclusion will need to be added to Avira, before reinstalling the software.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
This is not true. They have some good software like iobit uninstaller(probably one of the best free ones), driver booster(quit good too). the only thing they do when u install free software from them is that it install other software from them too, if u dont click to not install and that isnt realy hard.to say they are not trustable is abit false i would say..
Try revo uninstaller...

Reactions: BugCode

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Iobit products had problems, but already from some years they are cleaned up, and produce pretty good software like Uninstaller and Driver Booster.
I don't think four or five VT detections mean malware for sure.

And something similar is ZAM flagging YouTube downloader as malware because of 5-6 VT detections. That's why I still use YTD and don't trust ZAM

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Try revo uninstaller...
I had revo pro sometimes but i like iobit more, maybe not that much trough uninstall but batch uninstall and other funktions that i simple come back to iobit everytime :D and i must say i only use programs with good looking uis and i love iobit uis. thats something they realy can do, make good looking uis :)

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
It's not a PUA it is a PWA (potentially wanted application) :D
Never ever had problems with it and never ever am i going to replace it. (until something better becomes available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.