Advice Request Avira Free and Pro question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you install Avira Browser Safety Extension?

• Yes: Avira Free

• No: Avira Free

• Yes: Avira Pro

• No: Avira Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
Do you have to install Avira browser safety extension if you're using Avira Free? What about the Pro version, do you have to install Avira browser safety extension as well? Or is it optional?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I use Avira Free together with CF. Never install that expansion. If I want privacy I'll just straight to Tor Browser or Dabble. I tried the Avira browser safety expansion a while. Never liked it.

Reactions: Kuttz

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
As far as I know, the plugin Avira Browser Safety (ABS) will use cloud lookup to check the url, while the Web Protection module (WP) will scan the network traffic with the webcat libraries stored in the local.

Difference:

1. The database of url is updated more frequently in the cloud than the local. So there may exist some malicious URL that can be blocked by ABS, but cannot be blocked by WP, before the webcat libraries are updated.

2. The scan and analysis of WP is performed in the local, so it would be heavier than ABS, which only lookup the results stored in the cloud.

3. ABS has some other features that WP does not have, such as traffic light (showing different icons for different results in the search list) and tracking protection.

4. ABS can only analysis URL. By contrast, WP will scan both URL and the traffic payload. Consider a webpage which contains malicious payload such as Trojans. If its URL is not blacklisted in the cloud, ABS cannot block it, while WP is possible to block it.

5. The traffic scan of WP does not depend on the browser, while ABS can only be used in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE 11 on Win 7.​

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its an optional at all, Avira Browser Safety design to be what's typically a plugin to by checking and blocking any malicious websites + level of ratings from links when using search engines.

Meanwhile Web Shield from Free and Pro of Avira provide traditional approach to check based on current signatures have (without level of ratings status).

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Avira Browser Safety is not that good, it blocks too many stuff like some pictures or some video content on website's
There are similar alternatives for ABS
Edit: ABS is much better now with all the bugs out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.