App Review Avira Free Antivirus 2014(bunyip783)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the test. I've always liked Avira, I used it for a couple of years. But I uninstalled it when they partnered with ask, Even if you decline the web protection/ask Avira still installs 3 ask files in the Avira program files folder, one of which calls home. Solid AV but they need to dump ask.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
ZeroDay said:
Thanks for the test. I've always liked Avira, I used it for a couple of years. But I uninstalled it when they partnered with ask, Even if you decline the web protection/ask Avira still installs 3 ask files in the Avira program files folder, one of which calls home. Solid AV but they need to dump ask.
I had the same experience here during some private testing. If they completely removed themselves from ask it would make the world of difference.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The immediate scan after a detected / blocked infection isn't very efficient for testing purposes, but I suppose on an one-off situation is may benefit the user. What do you think?

Also their partnership with Ask.com isn't going anywhere.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avira-Browser-Safety-BETA-released
-http://avira.search.ask.com

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Yeah I agree Earth, that scan straight after a detection is annoying. I also think their detection notifications could be better, they seem to slide up ever so slowly. They look a bit dated.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
What you must remember is that avira is for the sensible user who rarely if at all comes across malware in a real world scenario.

Avira was not designed to be confronted by absurd amounts of malicious files like these pointless tests show.

I mean really is the average user going to come across over 100 malware files?

Avira sensibly scans the system for any remnants left over from a detection.I really would not take much notice of these reviews,these are simply the opinion of one person and dont represent the antivirus as a whole.

Thanks.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Earth said:
The immediate scan after a detected / blocked infection isn't very efficient for testing purposes, but I suppose on an one-off situation is may benefit the user. What do you think?

Also their partnership with Ask.com isn't going anywhere.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avira-Browser-Safety-BETA-released
-http://avira.search.ask.com
I agree with you on this. Since that is the case with Ask I wouldn't go near this program with a big stick :p.

ZeroDay said:
Yeah I agree Earth, that scan straight after a detection is annoying. I also think their detection notifications could be better, they seem to slide up ever so slowly. They look a bit dated.
Agree on this too.

bunyip783

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 1, 2011
Amiga500 said:
What you must remember is that avira is for the sensible user who rarely if at all comes across malware in a real world scenario.

Avira was not designed to be confronted by absurd amounts of malicious files like these pointless tests show.

I mean really is the average user going to come across over 100 malware files?

Avira sensibly scans the system for any remnants left over from a detection.I really would not take much notice of these reviews,these are simply the opinion of one person and dont represent the antivirus as a whole.

Thanks.
The average user will likely not come across this many malware samples; you're right. Avira has the Ask toolbar so I don't think I'd want anyone to use this unless they knew exactly what it was doing to their browser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.