App Review Avira Free Antivirus vs WannaCry ransomware by Juan Diaz

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Sure. The Antivirus modules are continuous improved as a rolling release. This means that new and improved features are distributed as product updates on availability.
Thank you for the reply I appreciate it. Is there any plans for a new UI for Avira?

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
Hi Evjl's Rain,
Both products have the same protection and detection features. Free has a minimum update interval of 2 hours compared to 15 min for Pro. The paid version has also more configuration options, e.g. for the real-time scanner. No technical support over phone and email for the Free version.

There can be different reasons why the testing results varied. It depends from the testing scenario and product version. Example: If the unknown files have been uploaded once, they will not be uploaded again and just compared with the file hash for a decission.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Hi Evjl's Rain,
Both products have the same protection and detection features. Free has a minimum update interval of 2 hours compared to 15 min for Pro. The paid version has also more configuration options, e.g. for the real-time scanner. No technical support over phone and email for the Free version.

There can be different reasons why the testing results varied. It depends from the testing scenario and product version. Example: If the unknown files have been uploaded once, they will not be uploaded again and just compared with the file hash for a decission.
thank you for the explanation. I will briefly explain my test
1/ tested first with avira pro, almost everything was uploaded to the cloud and got blocked
2/ 6-7 hours later, I tested avira free with the same samples (downloaded directly from the main website), fully updated. It uploaded 2 samples and failed to blocked the rest, in other words, heavily infected

It's not the first time I have seen avira free performs worse than avira pro due to the limited cloud uploading. I don't understand and can't explain myself

MWTHelper

From Avira
Verified
Developer
Oct 27, 2016
1/ tested first with avira pro, almost everything was uploaded to the cloud and got blocked
2/ 6-7 hours later, I tested avira free with the same samples (downloaded directly from the main website), fully updated. It uploaded 2 samples and failed to blocked the rest, in other words, heavily infected

If the configuration was identical I can just guess that this might be related with the missing browser protection in Avira Free that could be used as additional sensor for the upload logic.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.