Battle Avira free or Emsisoft Antimalware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeV

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Hello everybody, i'm glad to be a member of this great forum.
i would like to ask you which product is better in detection/signatures?
AVIRE FREE (no webtoolbar) or EMSISOFT Antimalware 8?
I used both in the past and they are running like a charm to my system (emsisoft is slowing down boot time a little bit)
I use windows7 32bit, 3gb ram, intel i7 2,8Khz with malwarebytes Pro + Private firewall + Mcfee site advisor for web filter

P.S I know that emsisoft is not free but i own a license

Thank you all in advance

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
This ridiculous question will be asked forever more.!
What is better etc.
Just use what your comftable with and works properly.
The best security is between the chair and the keyboard.

Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have to agree with Amiga. Having some common knowledge about an Internet-enabled PC will be safer, than bothering about which or what AV product has better detection rates. High detection rates won't save your PC from phishing/malware. :D

Use whichever product runs better on your PC, or you feel comfortable with.

I'm also currently using Avira with no noticeable slow-downs encountered, but I'm using Windows Firewall instead of PF.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Amiga500 said:
This ridiculous question will be asked forever more.!
What is better etc.
Just use what your comftable with and works properly.
The best security is between the chair and the keyboard.

Thanks.

Totally agree, any security product without user common sense equals failure. It doesn't make a different if one product has better detection on AV testing sites, none will detect everything. Nothing will offer 100% protection except for user knowledge. Either you learn or you will get infected no matter which security product(s) you decide to use that is just the way it is. Once you learn then just about any free AV will offer you enough protection.

Thanks. :D

Reactions: Koroke San

MikeV

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Thank you all for your answers. I always try to be careful with what i am downloading etc....all i wanted to know for, is with which product of these two i will be more safe in case of possible mistake.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
MikeV said:
Thank you all for your answers. I always try to be careful with what i am downloading etc....all i wanted to know for, is with which product of these two i will be more safe in case of possible mistake.

It depends on your mistakes, one product may catch a mistake while the other product could miss it and vise versa. It would be impossible to tell you which would do better catching your mistakes. Since neither one will be able to detect them all.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OP, I saw you use PrivateFirewall also, how are you getting along with it?

You can use that to your advantage along side your AV of choice. One can assume default settings are reasonable.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
MikeV said:
Hello everybody, i'm glad to be a member of this great forum.
i would like to ask you which product is better in detection/signatures?
AVIRE FREE (no webtoolbar) or EMSISOFT Antimalware 8?
I used both in the past and they are running like a charm to my system (emsisoft is slowing down boot time a little bit)
I use windows7 32bit, 3gb ram, intel i7 2,8Khz with malwarebytes Pro + Private firewall + Mcfee site advisor for web filter

P.S I know that emsisoft is not free but i own a license

Thank you all in advance

Both are very good piece of software, you won't make a mistake in any case.

MikeV

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Private Firewall and malwarebytes pro are working like a miracle to my machine.No slowdowns at all. According to my experiences with AV products only Avira free (NO web toolbar) and Emsisoft are working with no problems (except a little bit of delay windows boot time with emsisoft). With Avira or Emsisoft my system is very fast, that's why i have this big dilemma about which one will protect me better in case of possible mistake. in General i feel more secure with Private Firewall (default settings). Thank you

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
AVIRA - Free
Emsisoft - License
not correct comparison))
different possibilities for free and paid products

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.