App Review Avira FREE/ThreatFire vs. MALWARE

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Avira FREE/ThreatFire vs. MALWARE
Uploaded to YouTube by TheDjigibao

Kindly N.B.
The review of this software is not carried out by me.
Any questions or criticisms should be directed to the author of the video.
These videos are posted here for the communities entertainment value only :)

Last edited by a moderator:

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Noticed this guy is also using Sendori's DNS servers (very good too) :)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NSG001 said:
Noticed this guy is also using Sendori's DNS servers (very good too) :)

Yes with the MDL links it was pretty efficient however a DNS server it's not very useful when you want to stop malware as cyber criminals almost always use new domains which go up and down very quickly.

Overall this combo had a very good result, most of the file that he run were unwanted programs (which maybe could have been stopped if the default settings in Avira would have been changed to detect other type of threats).
Avira has a built-in behavior blocker as I remember however it's virtually useless as it doesn't seem to detect even the most obvious malicious behavior.
Threat Fire is good and free however is very poorly maintenant so that's the main problem with this product.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Threatfire's development is nearly freezed. I used use threatfire in the early days also when it was cyberhawk. IT was a good behaviour blocker. For me i tried mamutu and it did not detect any leaktest or anyother zemena's tests.
And Jack as far as I knew Avira's Behavioral blocker was only available in the paid version.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
In general, I prefer to see AV and anti-malware windows popping up and stating that a virus or malware has been found--to wit--even a crazy mad man that clicks everything on every site is protected--I am not so impressed with malicious links constantly being blocked. Any noob can program software to block any given link. Besides that, no matter what you use, something malicious is always going to get through, so I am interested what can be cleaned up after the fact.

I am not picking on NSG001, or the creator of that video, OR ANYONE that might test malware for that matter. It is just something that has been on my mind for a while.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
ZOU1 said:
I am not picking on NSG001, or the creator of that video

I'm glad for that.
Please don't shoot the messenger :D
All in all thought it was an unusual test.
@ Jack re: DNS agree but was nice to see someone else using them :)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
In light of it all I have no problem with Avira. It has always been a solid AV. I is just a bit tedious or stressful for beginners to use effectively though. Threatfire with AV is a great product too. It plays nice with Avast and nothing in the background can slip by its behavior blocker. I know PC Tools seems to not have updated it much, but I still prefer it over a software firewall.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
ThreatFire was design to be alongside for any AV however its development stage become inactive so the effectiveness isn't full blown. Overall Threatfire still got some popups that known for suspicious behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.