Battle Avira Internet Security vs F-Secure Internet Security

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

So, it comes down to these two. These are my choices because:

- Made in Germany (Avira) and Finland (F-Secure)
- Good results in Lab tests
- Easier on my computer than BitDefender, during trial
- I can get them on the cheap

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
without any word I Choose F-Secure, Avira just good in signature detection and no more...
F-Secure has great BB , great detection(2Engine), easy to use :) , Nice GUI also :D
- Made in Germany (Avira) and Finland (F-Secure)( U choose by country?!)
- Good results in Lab tests( Many Lab test just get result for earn money U can't trust them all...)
- Easier on my computer than BitDefender, during trial (its your choice)
- I can get them on the cheap ( money is important, but if your data is more valuable than your money, I prefer you to buy better security software...btw "There is no cheap thing without some reason for its cheapness" UK people said :D:cool:)

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If I have to choose, I would choose F-secure
but you can consider this combo: avast free - tweaked + [privatefirewall (/comodo)] + kaspersky antiransomware
I believe kaspersky AR doesn't simply detect ransomwares. you would have better but quite light

I just use kaspersky IS 2017. 1 for all, sufficient enough :)

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Personally, I'd choose anything other F-Secure as I've never had anything but trouble with it. Had to remove it from my parents laptop as it was absolutely killing performance and responsiveness. I don't think I've known a program to need so many processes! I put Kaspersky IS 2016 on and all is calm and my parents aren't complaining every five minutes.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
The following observation were made in my 7 1/2 years old laptop.
Resource usage: both use about 70 MB of RAM

Performance: Avira seems to be lighter but F-Secure isn't that heavy.

GUI: i prefer F-Secure. Avira seems to me to be outdated.Just my opinion.

Protection: I think F-Secure has a small advantage here mostly because of their Behavioural Blocker called Deep Guard
but you should know that it has a few false positives.

Which product i prefer? At this time probably F-Secure. But Avira is a good choice also now that uploads samples to the cloud.

p.s.: I don't like Avira second scan after finding a threat because it takes long and makes system heavy and unresponsive.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm running F-secure on all my machines (2 gaming laptops and 1 "average" laptop) since about 4 (?) years. I decided to use the software after reading some reviews: very good detection rate, light on system. I'm a 'gamer' so it was important to have an AV-soft that doesn't slow down the system. One of my laptops is quite average (4GB RAM, i5, GT540M, no SSD) so it was important that also this machine is able to run this AV-software without performance issues. After 4 years with F-Secure i can say: no crashes, no issues, no false/positives. It's simply running fine all the time in the backgroud... :)

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
My choice would be F- Secure because :
  • System Resource Usage : Almost Similar
  • Real-World Performance Impact : Almost Similar
  • Ease of Use : F - Secure has easier than avira.
  • Graphical User Interface : F - Secure has better and similer GUI
  • Real-World Protection : Detection Rates are similar but F - Secure has Deep guard giving it upper hand.
  • Preferred Product and Why? : All over F - Secure because it has upper hand on almost ever part.
Note : Avira used to take some extra time before context menu scan as Pre scan operation, Might have been removed now as I saw that in Beta before few days.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Have you installed those two before? And trial-ed them 30 days?

I've tried Avira before. Does its job well. Uninstalled it after trial ends, didn't like the addition of Launcher.

I've tried F-Secure SAFE instead. Also does its job well. Like their GUI more compared to Avira. Bit lag on the system speed (opening file, reboot, etc). End up uninstalling it to give way to Emsisoft.

Conclusion: Preferred F-Secure over Avira.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Avira is a 99.9% signature dependent protection and offers no major behavior based protection. If one faces zero-day threat which is unknown to Avira (both local and cloud) the system is very likely to get infected. These days it is extremely risky to use an anti virus which is solely dependent on its signature for protection. Windows 10's built in anti malware Windows Defender offer better protection over Avira especially when one enables PUP detection feature.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows 10's built in anti malware Windows Defender offer better protection over Avira especially when one enables PUP detection feature.

Slightly off topic but feel the need to comment: one doesnt need to enable PUP detection in Windows Defender to have it function as it should. This option is off by default for a reason. For casual and standard user, normal settings are enough.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would have to say F-Secure also
I think in terms of system impact F-Secure is slightly better
Ease of use and GUI go to F-Secure
Both provide good protection but but I would give the edge to F-Secure

Reactions: tonibalas and Ankh

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
VOTED: F-Secure

Or if you want free, you can do Avira free with Comodo Firewall it would be lighter on resourses then F-Secure and protect just as well, if not better and both free to use. F-Secure is paid only.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I believe where underdogs/underated/not been discussed widely; are the ones have developed good features which brought a lot of potential in the industry.

F-secure holds the balance outcome yet very effective against the midern threats nowadays.

No offense for Avira, but seems to be overrated even though the detection is effective.

The features are so minimal where BB or even HIPS as second backup next to Cloud.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.