Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I am using avira IS in one of my VM'S and was wondering should I leave it at default settings or are there some settings I should change?

I did change it to scan all files and archives which wasn't default.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From webguard, realtime and scan all heuristics were maximum as possible.

Threats categories must be widely all selected.

Archives you can select all or leave at default.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You're welcome :), also from Firewall options likely just leave in default as pop ups were generated on the normal stage and avoid troubles on the blocking of some connection/ports.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Not sure about the settings i've boxed in screen below
a9cSC.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What is actually new in Avira Internet Security?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the 2012 version were likely improvements on the components and fixes beside on the newly GUI.

Related on the archive scanning it also depends to your preferences. Default is fine.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Well the 2012 version were likely improvements on the components and fixes beside on the newly GUI.

Well anything is better then the old looking GUI.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I think 2012 version is slower then 2011 and updates and scan takes a bit resource which avira was not used to do before.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Max size = the maximum size of the archive to scan. The default is 1MB
Max number of files = How many files inside the archive to scan. The default is 10.
Max recursion depth = How many archives deep should I go. The default is 1.

Note: These default values are for the active protection, not for the on-demand scan.

It is a personal preference in my opinion. To be executed, a file inside an archive needs to be extracted, so even if it is buried 10 archives deep (it rarely happens, if you ask me to have a file inside an archive, inside another archive, inside another archive...10 times) it will be scanned before execution. If you have resources to spare (mainly a powerful multicore CPU), go ahead and change it. But I would rather increase the size of the archive to scan a little bit - maybe 5MB (5120 kilobytes). You will probably notice the impact on your system performance when downloading archives (including packed installers) from the Internet.

From the manual:
Max. recursion depth
When scanning archives, the Realtime Protection uses a recursive scan: Archives in
archives are also unpacked and scanned for viruses and unwanted programs. You can
define the recursion depth. The default value for the recursion depth is 1 and is
recommended: all files that are directly located in the main archive are scanned.
Max. number of files
When scanning archives, you can restrict the scan to a maximum number of files in
the archive. The default value for the maximum number of files to be scanned is 10
and is recommended.
Max. size (KB)
When scanning archives, you can restrict the scan to a maximum archive size to be
unpacked. The standard value of 1000 KB is recommended.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks james and bogdan, I think i'll leave at default

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.