Battle Avira PRO 2018 VS F-Secure Safe

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
I'm currently using F-Secure Safe (about 8 months remaining) and I've received a free 1-year license of Avira PRO 2018. I wish to know which one is better, in terms of performance and Exclusive Features and Functionality?

Thanks in advance.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Avira has excellent signatures, but its interface is confusing, you click on the new settings and the old interface appears, Avira Connect is bizarre, I do not like that, it does not have BB.
F-Secure uses two engines, its own and Bitdefender, has a good BB (DeepGuard), in addition to being one of the lightest AVs I've ever used, good interface (clean), although it has no advanced settings, anyway, I I would choose F-Secure from my experience using both.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you are content with F-Secure, stick with it.
Don't go around changing solutions based on Independent lab reports or User comments saying X is better than Y, as your experience may differ to theirs, which goes back to point one. If F-Secure is working fine, keep it.

In 7 to 8 months:
  • Stay with F-Secure until day before expiration.
  • Ask Support about any discounts for license renewal.
  • Either keep or remove F-Secure. Remember that Windows 10 users are automatically protected by Windows Defender, so you are protected if you decide to uninstall
  • If required, replace with another security solution of choice.

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Avira has excellent signatures, but its interface is confusing, you click on the new settings and the old interface appears, Avira Connect is bizarre, I do not like that, it does not have BB.
F-Secure uses two engines, its own and Bitdefender, has a good BB (DeepGuard), in addition to being one of the lightest AVs I've ever used, good interface (clean), although it has no advanced settings, anyway, I I would choose F-Secure from my experience using both.
I completely forgot about this crazy thing called Avira Connect. Obrigado, @Faybert !

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, Avira has excellent signatures of the best there is, but she does not have a behavioral detector as already said. I can not stand Avira Laucher.
F secure has a behavior detector The problem is FP. If you know how to handle them, there are no problems, it is light and I think it has a more modern technology than Avira at this time.
I stay with Fsecure:)

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Don't go around changing solutions based on Independent lab reports or User comments saying X is better than Y, as your experience may differ to theirs, which goes back to point one. If F-Secure is working fine, keep it.
I like F-Secure. I'm inclined to stick with it. Anyway, I would like to know what people think about both softwares. It won't be the solely factor to help me choosing.

as your experience may differ to theirs, which goes back to point one. .

It's true. I've never experienced problems with Bitdefender, for example, and people are always complaining about how problematic this software is.

And thank You, @Spawn !

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Well, Avira has excellent signatures of the best there is, but she does not have a behavioral detector as already said. I can not stand Avira Laucher.
F secure has a behavior detector The problem is FP. If you know how to handle them, there are no problems, it is light and I think it has a more modern technology than Avira at this time.

Avira Laucher is really a pain. I totally forgot about it. Thanks :)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017

I couldn't agree more with @Faybert and @bribon ! I'd stay with F-Secure. As some would say "If it isn't broke why fix it". In our case, if the solution is working out well I would say work with them to see if they can give you a good coupon for being a loyal customer. One will never know! Plus, they would want to keep you too I would say.

Bitdefender itself is a great antivirus and couple this with F-Secure and you are good to go. Only thing I must stress which @bribon77 mentions is the false positives that could be found with F-Secure. In a personal non-corporate environment this may not be as large of a worry. In a corporate environment false positives isn't great at all. If you have had great success with F-Secure stick with them.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Brian

D

Deleted member 65228

Regarding the comments about Avira and behavioural-based protection, it has been rumoured that such does actually exist in the Professional (Pro) version, or at-least exists in beta-testing phase. I cannot verify if such rumours are true nor remember where I heard them from exactly (likely from this forum), but it would not be that surprising if it is indeed true, considering we're in 2018 now.

F-Secure is really good though, and if it works well for you, then I'd stick with it... They also have DeepGuard for behavioural protection.

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
Regarding the comments about Avira and behavioural-based protection, it has been rumoured that such does actually exist in the Professional (Pro) version, or at-least exists in beta-testing phase. I cannot verify if such rumours are true nor remember where I heard them from exactly (likely from this forum), but it would not be that surprising if it is indeed true, considering we're in 2018 now.

F-Secure is really good though, and if it works well for you, then I'd stick with it... They also have DeepGuard for behavioural protection.

@Opcode The main point to me is "F-Secure does not have Avira Connect". When I used Avira, a looong time ago, Avira Connect was was heavy, confusing and slowly responsible in my system. I've just remembered it, So I guess I'll stay with F-Secure.

Many thanks!

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I'd go with F-Secure. I really like their simple UI and effectiveness. It's light, solid and has quite good web filter. + Bitdefender signatures, their own cloud + heuristics and DeepGuard as last line of defense. Which I've found has been improved quite a lot lately (with version 6 and it's supposedly AI like learning).
More info Computer Protection | Security for Windows and Mac computers | F-Secure
(select option from "TO LEARN MORE, SELECT YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM:")

The only minus so far for me is that DeepGuard/Virgo etc (their own detection/heuristics databases) do not update during the weekends. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it. Other than that - superb product. As I do beta testing, I have already tried their Ransomware protection and find it really good :)

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The only minus so far for me is that DeepGuard/Virgo etc (their own detection/heuristics databases) do not update during the weekends. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it. Other than that - superb product. As I do beta testing, I have already tried their Ransomware protection and find it really good :)

It is a good product no doubt about that and a very good foundation on most systems. The DeepGuard/Virgo updates only on weekdays is an interesting point and I'll for sure keep an eye on it.

There DataGuard and Software Updater is new features I hope they decide to integrate also in the home products.

Jyrki Rosenberg, Executive Vice President, Corporate Security Business Unit, F-Secure

Source and report : Gartner Magic Quadrant for EPP 2018 | F-Secure

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Thanks for the video. It's getting more off topic. Just wanted to add that DataGuard itself seems to be the new Ransomware protection which acts like other similar protections - restricting modifying of folders like Pictures/Videos/Documents by malicious and unknown programs.

It has been recently added to the Beta version of Home programs. Currently being beta-tested.

That got me thinking - it was said somewhere that DeepGuard 6 actually was released to Beta program sometime 2017 summer. So we got that tech for testing way before Business product line did :). Seems to be vice-versa this time around (DataGuard).

PVA_BR

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 4, 2014
The only minus so far for me is that DeepGuard/Virgo etc (their own detection/heuristics databases) do not update during the weekends. Not sure if anyone else has noticed it.

Hi, @Lord Ami
I've never noticed that.
Another amazing thing I was unaware is that I've never needed to reboot my pc to install F-Secure's updates.

Thank You!

Reactions: upnorth

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.