Avira SafeApps BETA - PUP/PUA-free Windows software Downloads (Discontinued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
SAFEAPPS BY AVIRA - https://safeapps.avira.com/en/

As posted here (Avira Browser Safety BETA for Chrome, Firefox, Opera) as of v.1.5.0 of the Avira Browser Safety (BETA) now includes PUA Protection.

Download sites that contain Potentially Unwanted Applications are flagged by ABS v1.5 and recommend users to download the software from Avira.

This site lists software scanned and reviewed by Avira, all downloads are PUP/PUA-Free.

Still in BETA.
upload_2015-9-18_20-48-13.png

Edit: Altered thread title

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you post a screenshot of the option and what site does uBlock recommend users to visit?

Reactions: Kent

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
It's nice to be able to download software all on one page, but it including the word "safe" within the domain is literally driving me crazy.

Apps.avira.com would look way better — it makes me think everything is fake when I see the word "safe" included in domains.

H

hjlbx

I'd use this service since it has become virtually impossible to find a download source where softs can be downloaded without something else being packed with it... like tool bars, crapware, etc.

Sourceforge going over to the dark side was a real disappointment.

So, all in all, Avira is satisfying a real need with this one...

Reactions: XhenEd

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
In ublock you need to check all from privacy and Peter Lowe’s Ad server list‎.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A little concern where the database should accumulate more from common ones as keyword 'eagleget', '7-zip' and others are not found on database.

Other than that its fine for implementation for Avira.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Current database extremely small, and most of what is on Avira already is safe from PUP/PUA in the wild, eg Evernote so I don't see what they are doing with this. I think something that they can do is analyse an installer with both the real application and a PUP and extract the application of interest while removing the PUP entirely, that would make the site extremely useful and inexperienced users can download and install software without having any worries of accidentally installing bundles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.