Avira Scout 'Early Access' release

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

I recently terminated my Avira Beta account, but I want to ask are Avira's own security technologies noticeable in the Scout browser?

Not yet as far as i know; just some extensions. I dont know if they use Google phising/malware filter or their own. but i dont see cloud queries yet.

Reactions: kev216

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They should have further implemented their Antivirus Scanner before releasing to the public. Reasons below are Why not to use Avira Scout... just yet. Straight from Avira.
If you know what you are doing though and have a browser with AdBlock, anti-tracking, our ABS, a good search engine, and NoScript your browser should actually be more secure than our current setup. This will change of course.
Known issues we’re working on:
  • Not all video and audio pages will work just yet: only open video codecs are currently offered. Learn more!
  • HTTPS-Everywhere and Privacy Badger may not support certain pages. Please give us your feedback to help us fix this.
  • Languages offered: German and English. The installer is in English only. We’re working of course to expand the list of available languages.
  • Not all features (e.g. desktop links) work on Windows 8 just yet.
  • Coming up: integrated antivirus scanner – working on it!
Avira Scout: On Early Access - Avira Blog

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
I noticed yesterday Avira Scout had a zero day attack on it: according to appguard, but I'm no appguard pro. So not exactly sure how to check the logs for it. But it popped up on my one laptop saying it protected Avira scout from a zero day exploit. Just throwing it out there I know all chromium based browsers are vulnerable to zeroday and on this one comp I have a light weight config for torrenting. Not sure if there is a security hole in the beta or what, b/c I wasn't on any risky sites or anything at the time when it happened. There was an update this afternoon though so its possible they patched some stuff. I'd Love to see this as a stable browser...

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

@pneuma1985 What website where you on? Had you been on any suspicious websites or any you have never been on before?

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
@pneuma1985 Very strange, maybe it is an error?
Quite possibly like I said im no appguard pro, is there a log I can check out when it blocks something? All I got was the little popup saying what it blocked and and that something tried to make changes to avira scout that may be a zero day exploit or something close to that... Can't remember what the popup said verbatim but that was the gist of it.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
@pneuma1985 I was thinking of giving Avira scout a try too, do you still recommend it? @Tornado have you tried it too, or you're just curious about it?
Well you have to understand it is in beta and I've found at least 4 bugs so far and their are probably countless bugs I haven't found yet. IMO I wouldn't quite hop on it as a daily browser, at least not yet... It still needs a bit of work, but once it's stable yeah seems like its gonna be a nice chrome based browser.

Last edited:
Reactions: mal1

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Has anyone got any screenshots?
Looks the same as chrome with some default installed extensions, like Avira safe search, Privacy badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and a new menu form Avira.
avira 4.PNG avira 5.PNG avira1.PNG avira2.PNG avira3.PNG

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As usual, the built in features of a certain browsers may not implicate the overall effectiveness but rather through extensions. The current security framework of a Chromium browser is differ compare to Chrome itself.

Nevertheless, performance of browsing will be same at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.