Avira Vs Norton Vs Webroot

  • Total voters
    25
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

For the moment, NIS, it is Light, many useful features, very good at prevention (than Avira) and its detection rate is quite good (unlike Webroot).

It will be interesting to see how WSA will behave when they will fix the detection issues.
 

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Maybe WSA, due to malware tend to disable the big guns the first thing they do if they pass the first line of defense.
I have seen Norton 2012 uninstalled, but the icon in the bottom right corner were still there to make you think Norton were still active.
I think Languy99 have a video on youtube showing the same thing if you care to browse his vids.

/W
 

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Stranger said:
Which is best in terms of protection and usability according to you?
My vote will go also to Norton Internet Security , mainly because unlike Avira it's using a file reputation system and has a very well developed Insight technology which could save you from an infection , if we pair this with the HUGE community then I think we've got a winner.
Unlike the competition , Norton also comes with some very good antivirus definitions and a very well tunned behavior blocker.
Also it's important to be noted that all the software in this AvsB are paid products, and without any doubt the promo's for Norton will be easier to find then the competition.
Norton is very light however the heuristic engine could be improved so that's the only minus for this product.

PS: Here is a quick explanations of NIS features: http://us.norton.com/popup.jsp?popupid=nisnav_glossary


VOTE: Norton Internet Security.
TIP: Before buying any of this products,make sure you use the free trail to see which one you like the more.
DO NOT BUY ANY OF THIS PRODUCTS BEFORE TRYING IT OUT!
 

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
woodrowbone said:
Maybe WSA, due to malware tend to disable the big guns the first thing they do if they pass the first line of defense.
I have seen Norton 2012 uninstalled, but the icon in the bottom right corner were still there to make you think Norton were still active.
I think Languy99 have a video on youtube showing the same thing if you care to browse his vids.

/W
Yes,I've also seen a few cases in which a certain type of trojan (mostly some variants of the ZeroAccess rootkit) will try to disable/kill Norton Internet Security......
 
P

Plexx

To be honest, based on the few tests I did with all 3 products (aside from the videos I have uploaded), all have their pros and cons.

If we are to look at what type of users each product is targeted, then Norton wins hands down due to their Install and Forget approach.

Sure there has been infections that makes Norton fail, aside from Languy99 tests, however one is to note that Avira is not perfect either and although its detection rate is within the highest DR solutions, it also has some downfalls. Languy99 Webroot test was also with a bad result.

Webroot on the other hand lacks on Detection and some other components, it still has great potential. I personally like the fact that it can be paired up with another Solution, as well as their version of process explorer.

In a nutshell:
Usability and UI Friendly: Norton/Webroot
Additional Features: Norton/Webroot
Default settings potential: Norton
Zero day protection: Tie between Norton and Avira
Detection Rate: Avira
Performance: Norton/Webroot
Customization of settings: Avira

That being said, I am unable to vote due to the fact that what could be best for me might not be best for other users.
 

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Biozfear said:
To be honest, based on the few tests I did with all 3 products (aside from the videos I have uploaded), all have their pros and cons.

If we are to look at what type of users each product is targeted, then Norton wins hands down due to their Install and Forget approach.

Sure there has been infections that makes Norton fail, aside from Languy99 tests, however one is to note that Avira is not perfect either and although its detection rate is within the highest DR solutions, it also has some downfalls. Languy99 Webroot test was also with a bad result.

Webroot on the other hand lacks on Detection and some other components, it still has great potential. I personally like the fact that it can be paired up with another Solution, as well as their version of process explorer.

In a nutshell:
Usability and UI Friendly: Norton/Webroot
Additional Features: Norton/Webroot
Default settings potential: Norton
Zero day protection: Tie between Norton and Avira
Detection Rate: Avira
Performance: Norton/Webroot
Customization of settings: Avira

That being said, I am unable to vote due to the fact that what could be best for me might not be best for other users.
BTW, did you test WSA and it´s rollback feature when you tried it out?
I have seen a lot of tests but never this feature in action, it sounds to good to be true:

"Unlike traditional security solutions which can leave behind damaged files or traces of malware after an infection, Webroot SecureAnywhere – Endpoint Protection includes a rollback feature that restores the system to its previous safe state. This can eliminate the need for reimaging every infected computer, which eats up more than 17 hours of an IT manager’s time every month."

If I understand the feature correctly WSA could miss a threat day 1, but as the program is unknown it is monitored until considered safe.
Lets say it is detected day 2, it should in theory clean and rollback all the changes that has happened since it first infected the computer day 1.
Do you think this can be tested?

/W
 
P

Plexx

woodrowbone said:
BTW, did you test WSA and it´s rollback feature when you tried it out?
I have seen a lot of tests but never this feature in action, it sounds to good to be true:

"Unlike traditional security solutions which can leave behind damaged files or traces of malware after an infection, Webroot SecureAnywhere – Endpoint Protection includes a rollback feature that restores the system to its previous safe state. This can eliminate the need for reimaging every infected computer, which eats up more than 17 hours of an IT manager’s time every month."

If I understand the feature correctly WSA could miss a threat day 1, but as the program is unknown it is monitored until considered safe.
Lets say it is detected day 2, it should in theory clean and rollback all the changes that has happened since it first infected the computer day 1.
Do you think this can be tested?

/W
I have not tried Endpoint Protection version.

I tried Essentials and reviewed (text based) the Antivirus version.

Heres the comparison between the 2 versions I tested. Also I did run the AV version for some time along with ESET.

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-compare.html

I am not sure if it can be tested.

I will look into the endpoint version, but can't promise anything at the moment.
 

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Biozfear said:
woodrowbone said:
BTW, did you test WSA and it´s rollback feature when you tried it out?
I have seen a lot of tests but never this feature in action, it sounds to good to be true:

"Unlike traditional security solutions which can leave behind damaged files or traces of malware after an infection, Webroot SecureAnywhere – Endpoint Protection includes a rollback feature that restores the system to its previous safe state. This can eliminate the need for reimaging every infected computer, which eats up more than 17 hours of an IT manager’s time every month."

If I understand the feature correctly WSA could miss a threat day 1, but as the program is unknown it is monitored until considered safe.
Lets say it is detected day 2, it should in theory clean and rollback all the changes that has happened since it first infected the computer day 1.
Do you think this can be tested?

/W
I have not tried Endpoint Protection version.

I tried Essentials and reviewed (text based) the Antivirus version.

Heres the comparison between the 2 versions I tested. Also I did run the AV version for some time along with ESET.

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-compare.html

I am not sure if it can be tested.

I will look into the endpoint version, but can't promise anything at the moment.
I do not know if the rollback feature is in the Endpoint version only, I just found this:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=321106&highlight=rollback

It seems the feature is done silently in the background.
Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit guys.

/W
 

McLovin

Level 73
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Would have to test them all again to find out, but from past experiences I will go with Norton.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top