• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
Hello,
Title says it all! :)
Feel free to recommend something else, I tried Avast but it made my PC slow, and crashed, the full scan was 0% for 1 hour+

Thanks

Update: Just added Avast

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Xsjx
V

viel

Thread author
Should I install Comodo Firewall with Avira antivirus + Malwarebytes + Hitman Pro

V

viel

Thread author
Why does Windows Defender have 3 votes I do not understand please tell me why lol

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
WD is the build in antivirus of windows. Therefore its a solid i would say option and i suggest you to stick with that. With WD you can have smartscreen and UAC to always notify and you can also add some antimalware running with WD. Also if you wanna run an untrusted-unknown app you can have sandboxie.
Instead of antimalware you can have VoodooShield, a great free programme. Dont forget the Common sence :p;)

Reactions: Vasudev
V

viel

Thread author
WD is the build in antivirus of windows. Therefore its a solid i would say option and i suggest you to stick with that. With WD you can have smartscreen and UAC to always notify and you can also add some antimalware running with WD. Also if you wanna run an untrusted-unknown app you can have sandboxie.
Instead of antimalware you can have VoodooShield, a great free programme. Dont forget the Common sence :p;)
I just got Avast is that better than Avira and WD?

V

viel

Thread author
Norton, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Emsisoft, FSecure, ESET
there are so many other better AV's and your PC is mid-range so won't have a problem running either of these.
Just got Avast and it detected a Trojan, more info on my recent thread.
Thanks so much for your time.

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
With the Creators update (1703) you can:

Set Smartscreen to block, and under app settings "allow apps from Windows Store only". These settings will give you formidable zero day defense.

If you need a new app, simply turn the setting off and check the file against Virustotal.

I've been using this set up for a while now and really really like it.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
IF you want a free av then go for Q360 (free sandbox+free Optimize, clean & speed up+good RW protection+free support+clean product(no buggy) but-----no privacy----bad zero-day protection.. ( but IDC about privacy already Google stealing from me let chinese do that too)

Reactions: WinXPert
W

WolfensteinXeen

Thread author
I personally prefer Avast, but since it made your PC slow i voted Avira as it's probably the best choice for you. Actually any reputable AV will protect you better than Windows Defender. The only thing where Defender is king is that it's already integrated in the OS and therefore offers the best compatibility and stability.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
At the end of the day, any third party Antivirus have edge than Windows Defender when it comes on detection capabilities from reactive and proactive.

Although different justification because of how these AVs performs.

Avira has maximum protection that it can provide considering the fact of consistent on performance than Windows Defender, however it does not mean Windows Defender is already poor; actually since Windows 10 released; the AV itself is already undergone numerous improvements on both reactive and proactive.

Now examine your habits since that should supplement the risk you have in order to complement the product.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Other AV's have the edge with Widows Defender but it has improve a lot with Windows 10.
Rather than change it why not supplement it with other types of protection so as having a layered, like Voodooshield(anti-exe, whitelist, w/ VT), Comodo Firewall(Sandbox, HIPS, FW), etc... once all "LEGAL" software's are installed only thing you gotta worry is something that might enter the system those two free software can handle most attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.