Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

viel

Thread author
With the Creators update (1703) you can:

Set Smartscreen to block, and under app settings "allow apps from Windows Store only". These settings will give you formidable zero day defense.

If you need a new app, simply turn the setting off and check the file against Virustotal.

I've been using this set up for a while now and really really like it.
Avira comes with bloatware.

Windows 10 Creators + Windows Defender since Avast is problematic on your PC.
it works better now I use Avast + Malwarebytes + Hitman Pro and the creators update.

V

viel

Thread author
I personally prefer Avast, but since it made your PC slow i voted Avira as it's probably the best choice for you. Actually any reputable AV will protect you better than Windows Defender. The only thing where Defender is king is that it's already integrated in the OS and therefore offers the best compatibility and stability.
I reinstalled it works better now.
I have Avast now, it removed a Trojan that Avira missed,

Reactions: ZeroDay
V

viel

Thread author

Set Smartscreen to block, and under app settings "allow apps from Windows Store only". These settings will give you formidable zero day defense.

If you need a new app, simply turn the setting off and check the file against Virustotal.

I use both AV's now, I feel confused though, Avira is still smashing AVAST and WD in tests and everyone is telling me to stay away from Avira :/

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

I like your concept. Still using WD+VS because I like to try new programs without worrying, but I might consider your solution for a friend of mine.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I use both AV's now, I feel confused though, Avira is still smashing AVAST and WD in tests and everyone is telling me to stay away from Avira :/
You use both AVs?!
Besides that, the tests are not everything. An AV is more than its detection rate, you should consider performance, bloatware, etc. Avira is completely unusable for me (last time I tried it) - horrific interface and bad memory managment.

V

viel

Thread author
I like your concept. Still using WD+VS because I like to try new programs without worrying, but I might consider your solution for a friend of mine.
What if you use Steam.etc?

V

viel

Thread author
You use both AVs?!
Besides that, the tests are not everything. An AV is more than its detection rate, you should consider performance, bloatware, etc. Avira is completely unusable for me (last time I tried it) - horrific interface and bad memory managment.
You use both AVs?!
Windows introduced a new feature, You can keep your current provider but, Windows will occasionally run WD scans.

V

viel

Thread author
You use both AVs?!
IS there anything bad about using both? It won't conflict/harm since its a Windows feature

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Windows introduced a new feature, You can keep your current provider but, Windows will occasionally run WD scans.
In that case no. Technically WD is not running in real time in that case, so you are only using ONE antivirus, which is a must follow rule.

V

viel

Thread author
In that case no. Technically WD is not running in real time in that case, so you are only using ONE antivirus, which is a must follow rule.
So it is all good? I can use WD with Avast? its says Real time is off for WD anyway. :)

Reactions: brod56

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
So it is all good? I can use WD with Avast? its says Real time is off for WD anyway. :)
I must repeat again, if realtime WD protection is off and only periodic scanning is enabled, then you are good to go :)

Reactions: viel
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.