Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I understand that Avira is strong in traditional protection, has high real-world detection rates, and is light.
But it is not as strong in zero-day and heuristic detection
So, would Avira + WSA + MBAE make a good combo?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
webroot staff claims it is.
they say they built WSA to be compatible with other AVs, it's a core idea of their product.
I saw specifically on their forum that they claim it be compatible with Avira.

Rajat

Level 2
Verified
Oct 20, 2015
webroot staff claims it is.
they say they built WSA to be compatible with other AVs, it's a core idea of their product.
I saw specifically on their forum that they claim it be compatible with Avira.
If they claim then it should be.
You can give them a try. Avira being light on the system will give more space to Webroot. But i don't think that MBAM is needed with these two.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If they claim then it should be.
You can give them a try. Avira being light on the system will give more space to Webroot. But i don't think that MBAM is needed with these two.
right.
I am talking about the light-weight malwarebytes anti-exploit, not about their heavy anti-malware product referred to as MBAM.

H

hjlbx

Avira has very best heuristics - especially against polymorphism (malware publishers "modify" malware just a little to avoid detection).

However, setting Avira heuristics to maximum settings will noticeably impact your system (might cause slowdown).

For example, full system scans can take upwards of 4+ hours with maximum heuristics enabled.

I only recommend WSA on W7 systems since the firewall controls are nonfunctional on W8\8.1\10 because of - Webroot states - Microsoft.

Well, well then... Webroot should eliminate or redesign the firewall controls - because - they are charging W8/8.1/10 users for those controls. If they eliminate them then the price should be reduced accordingly.

Anyhow, Webroot and their under-handed tactics is another debate...

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
my guide : How to setup Webroot SA alongside another Antivirus

it is an old guide, so some options may not exist anymore, but it is still valid.
It seems that WSA already runs on very low system resources, and is built to play well with the major AVs, which would include Avira. You can check which processes WSA is monitoring, from utilities/system control/start. As long as Avira is in the allowed list and not the monitored list, I would think that everything is okay.
So I would think that the crucial tweak is to make sure that Avira is excluding the WSA exe from real-time scans.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well that combination will not barred any issues considering WSA to be companion base, balance features of Webroot should help the overall traditional approach of Avira especially their cloud is using only for collecting information basis.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.