Advice Request Avira's detection methods

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does Avira need to be more open about their detection methods?

• Yes

• no

• no becuase of some people may get confused by ~Behavior blocker~~

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
As i said under some Post i want to make a Thread of it so no off topics anymore ;)

Some people dont believe Avira has multiple detection methods but thats Isnt treu..

As you can see under the screenshot it clearly has Behavior scanner. ;)

Attachments

• avira.PNG
    avira.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 925

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Well I like Avira very much. It is installed on my Gaming PC since the dinasours age hahahahah.
I hope they get better! New protection technologies are welcome

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Well I like Avira very much. It is installed on my Gaming PC since the dinasours age hahahahah.
I hope they get better! New protection technologies are welcome
:p
Avira is the lightest av now i think :) also not as munch problems as Kaspersky/Bitdefender/Norton..
But this treadh is about the detection methods from Avira ;)
So i just want to show people Avira does have everything and they dont need to say things without searching it out..

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Pearl96

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe I have misunderstood your post but, did you mean when people say "Avira doesn't have a multi-layered approach"?

Examples:

Avast has Signature, Heuristics, Cloud (streaming) for it's AV engine, but is also accompanied by Multi-layer technologies like Web Shield, Hardened mode, DeepScreen/CyberCapture, and used to have Boot-time scanner (moved). Comodo has their Antivirus engine with VirusScope, proactive HIPS, AutoSandbox with Whitelisting etc. Windows Defender has their AV with Signatures/Cloud, Network Inspection (Win 8.1/10) and Boot-time scanning (Offline).

Edit:
Q&A - Avira Behaviour Blocker?
Avira Answers

Last edited:

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Maybe I have misunderstood your post but, did you mean when people say "Avira doesn't have a multi-layered approach"?

Avast has Signature, Heuristics, Cloud (streaming) for it's AV engine, but is also accompanied by Multi-layer technologies like Web Shield, Hardened mode, DeepScreen/CyberCapture, and used to have Boot-time scanner (moved). Comodo has their Antivirus engine with VirusScope, proactive HIPS, AutoSandbox with Whitelisting etc. Windows Defender has their AV with Signatures/Cloud, Network Inspection (Win 8.1/10) and Boot-time scanning (Offline).
Thx for the post here but no i dont mean that just people dont believe Avira has a behavior scanner... And thats why they find it useless but they a behavior scanner.. thats wy i created this post..

Reactions: RXZ6Q and Pearl96

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
If Avira beats Webroot on system-impact/lightness i will switch to Avira, just because of that fact *screenshots of comparison or it didnt happen* :rolleyes::D
It has munch better Detection ;)
AVIRA News - Best-in-class protection for your digital life: Avira Antivirus Pro earns AV-Comparatives’ “Product of the Year” award
Also i think as i can see the system impact will get better like 4% if you switch to Avira ;)

Also some say Webroot has great privacy But avira is on of the best for privacy too :)
Also if you want a discount code i can give you, Pm me.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Xsjx regarding behavior analysis and the succeeding cloud analysis, you'll like this article for its precise and brief explanation
Based on your system’s behavior, Avira AntiVir ProActiv can detect whether it is currently being attacked by a virus or malware and can initiate effective countermeasures.

On the basis of integrated rules, your Avira product autonomously decides whether one or more events on your system are attributable to a virus or malware attack. These rules are created in the Avira virus laboratory from the analysis of viruses and malware and made available to all Avira customers.
Also here's what it processes:
In cases in which no unequivocal conclusions can be drawn based on the system's behavior and with the aid of the rules as to whether one is dealing with an attack from a virus or from malware, the Avira servers are queried as to whether the file that caused this behavior requires analysis. The following data is transmitted with this inquiry:

• Information about the relevant rules
  • The MD5 sum of the file
  • The size of the file
  • Version number of the rules
If the answer is YES, the file is automatically sent to Avira. In doing so, the following data is transmitted:

• The MD5 sum of the file
  • The file name
  • The contents of the file
The transmission occurs via a secure HTTPS connection. The transmitted information itself is encrypted.
EDIT: ProActiv seems to be a part of pro/premium suites of Avira.
I guess this info is pretty self-explanatory about the ways of so called advanced detection methods Avira ProActiv implements.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Two questions, and two you can ask Avira if you see fit:
  1. Is their behavioural detection available in the free version?
  2. Was the behavioural detection added recently?
I've never seen Avira free (their most popular product) block anything based on behaviour. I've also never seen them market any form of behavioural detection.
If their behavioural detection is only available in their paid products then, frankly, that just isn't good enough for me and precisely the reason I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty much every other free AV I can think of uses some form of behavioural detection (to different degrees of success but it's there) and it would be a pretty stupid thing for them to do to hold a feature that's so prevalent for their lesser paid user base.

If it's a recent addition to their free product then that's fantastic and I'm glad to see they're finally dragging themselves into the present.

Reactions: Pearl96 and Xsjx

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I've never seen Avira free (their most popular product) block anything based on behaviour. I've also never seen them market any form of behavioural detection.
If their behavioural detection is only available in their paid products then, frankly, that just isn't good enough for me and precisely the reason I wouldn't recommend it. Pretty much every other free AV I can think of uses some form of behavioural detection (to different degrees of success but it's there) and it would be a pretty stupid thing for them to do to hold a feature that's so prevalent for their lesser paid user base.

If it's a recent addition to their free product then that's fantastic and I'm glad to see they're finally dragging themselves into the present.
I am gonna ask it for you :) i hope i get answer fast as soon as i can i post it here

Reactions: Pearl96

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Dude, this topic "was" Avira's behavior and does their be more opened they security layers. And now there is already "coffee-house chat" everything else. I quess everyone REALLY has saw you link about Avira's product of year link what you put every thread/topic you discuss about security. So let's stay what is the topic "title" saying and people's can make them vote's. Everyone has own opinions! Put if it get this kind of "force" marketing, i don't understand. Everyone know you like Avira and i don't complain that. So let it be that way what i like do not force "marketing"! There are internet full of product of the year and that vendor is better than that depend of reviewer. Pfft, sorry but just my fast thought wroted mine bad english. Let everyone has stay their opinion and be cool and stay with your opinion put DON'T put it every topic/thread/post. Thank you, no offence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

This post from their support forum and Tom's guide article mention that it does have a behavioral protection.
apc-infographic.png
This infographic is from their official site and it explains that any suspected files (detected due to reasons like suspicious behavior/ action sequence/ unrecognizable files)... will be sent to cloud for confirmation.
However, all Avira cloud (integrated in free version apparently presented as a way of behavioral protection) does is verify these suspects against their ever-increasing threat DB (somewhat advanced than their offline protection, they say that this way attackers cannot analyse how their mechanism works) to identify file's safety flag.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
This post from their support forum and Tom's guide article mention that it does have a behavioral protection.
View attachment 142754
This infographic is from their official site and it explains that any suspected files (detected due to reasons like suspicious behavior/ action sequence/ unrecognizable files)... will be sent to cloud for confirmation.
However, all Avira cloud (integrated in free version apparently presented as a way of behavioral protection) does is verify these suspects against their ever-increasing threat DB (somewhat advanced than their offline protection, they say that this way attackers cannot analyse how their mechanism works) to identify file's safety flag.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Emsisoft's or Avast's behavioural blocking. Cloud analysis is fine but it's limited to the amount of time it has to identify a threat. If it only has 300ms to identify a file, flags said file as safe and it turns out it's actually malware then the idea is there's a behavioural blocking competent that kicks in when the malware starts attempting to encrypt files or record keystrokes. That's what I'm looking to get confirmation for.

Reactions: ZeroDay and Pearl96

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I am a bit confused.................
First I edited the poll question
Secondly my confusion is about the reason for this thread and poll.
Some people dont believe Avira has multiple detection methods but thats Isnt treu..
As you can see under the screenshot it clearly has Behavior scanner.
So i just want to show people Avira does have everything and they dont need to say things without searching it out..
Thx for the post here but no i dont mean that just people dont believe Avira has a behavior scanner... And thats why they find it useless but they a behavior scanner.. thats wy i created this post..
You cannot expect all who reply to say Avira is the best.
There are a lot of AV options and those are open to personal opinion based an many things.
IMO Avast & Emsisoft are better.
Am I wrong? No
Are you wrong?No
You basically made a thread with a question that you answered yourself in the original post.
However I believe the answer has already been given.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.