Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Avira offers more than just an anti-virus (AV). Features that go beyond AV got integrated years ago (does anyone of you remember specific anti-spyware programs ?). I prefer to define what we offer as an add-on-security solution … AV is shorter, but also less correct. Nonetheless shorter won.

Now we are about to stretch even further and integrate a browser into our eco system. And in case you are wondering: There are very good reasons for that.

Nowadays the top use-case for a computer is to access the internet using a browser. The infrastructure of the internet is run by different entities (routers, DNS, servers). The homepages contain executable code that is run in the browser. Manifold data formats are used in the net (HTML, JS, CSS, PNG, SVG, video formats, …). All in all it’s a well connected and extremely complex system. And it is used to access valuable data (online banking, shopping, medical research, looking for a new job, …) – a disaster waiting to happen.

The browser developers (Mozilla and community, Google and community and Microsoft) are putting lots of resources into securing those browsers. And they are doing a very impressive job.

But the threats online are not getting less. There are a lot of them: Phising, insecure Wifis, malware drive-by, trackers, … you name them!

This needs fixing.

Basically there are three points to secure:

• The client (your PC and browser): Detect attacks and block them
  • The Internet infrastructure (like Wifis): End-to-End encryption fixes that
  • The server (like the site that is trying to phish you): Identify and block
This is our opportunity to improve the situation.

• For the first time ever we can go beyond add-on and have more of an add-in. This means: More options to secure the system
  • While the browser vendors have to produce a one-size-fits-all we can center on a more security aware customer base
  • We have lots of backend databases knowing the dangerous places in the internet
  • While high-end security extensions (Noscript) focus on the skilled user, we will build a system with an auto-pilot, basing the security decissions on our backend databases and our experience
  • This auto pilot will also automate repetitive tasks away
  • Before you ask: Skilled users can take over the wheel and override it
  • You can install additional extensions. It is your browser after all
The whole project is based on extensions and chromium. Both are Open Source. We will pay for our ride: We contribute to them to guarantee a perfect browsing experience. Of course we will also integrate our Avira technology.

Full Article: https://blog.avira.com/aviras-secure-browser/
More info can be found at the Avira betacenter: https://betacenter.avira.com/callout/?callid=D5FDB98C7E904961987851B25047F755

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Salutations,

Also, I will try aviras-secure-browser! Very few browser make my cut!

So far on Slimjet and K-meleon are the only 2 browser that I use!

Reactions: frogboy and souhrid

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The whole project is based on extensions and chromium.

Unless they integrate Avira Protection Cloud (Download Protection) into the browser, what's the difference about the links below?

From the screenshot:
It may be a combination, but here are the links to both Avira SafeSearch and Plus extensions.

Deal Finder is bundled and scans your online shopping activities for better deals - Are They Spying on You?

Looks good i will have to test it out
I don't think Avira allows Closed Beta products to be publicly reviewed. You can check in the Terms and Conditions when you sign up.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I hope the new Avira browser shields its users from all kinds of trackings while we browse the internet. That is totally anonymous net surfing.

Reactions: kev216
H

hjlbx

I hope the new Avira browser shields its users from all kinds of trackings while we browse the internet. That is totally anonymous net surfing.

I agree, but I would add that I hope it is secure all-the-way-around.

However, based upon prior experience with other "hardened" browsers I think that is wishful thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if Avira doesn't incorporate any type of active scanning since it will likely cause all manner of problems with browsing speed - similar to Bitdefender's and Kaspersky's secure browser issues.

Probably end up a "flash in the pan"... but maybe not. We'll have to wait and see...

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Avira Browser 44 beta
Based on the latest stable Google Chromium build we are proud to provide you the Avira Browser 44 beta within just 24 hours.

Changes:

• Chromium 44 is now the base of the Avira Browser
  • Mac OS X & Windows: An updater is now integrated into the Browser
Known issues:

• We do not have an update mechanism for Linux yet
  • An Anti-virus scanner is not yet integrated. Be warned that essential security features are missing that way.
  • Localisation is not finished yet. Please use the browser in english
  • We do not yet have signatures on binaries or our installers
  • The icons are not final
  • The menu entry "Update Avira Browser" in the Windows version is leading to the "About" page
Avira Browser beta for Windows
Avira Browser beta for Mac
Avira Browser beta for Linux

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kev216 and jamescv7

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Future of Avira's Secure Browser:
Avira's Secure Browser: Plans and Tactics (Part 1) - Avira Blog
Avira’s Secure Browser: Plans and Tactics (Part 2) - Avira Blog
  • Open-source Extensions
  • Contributing to Chromiums and 3rd party code
  • Avira Browser Safety and SafeSearch (WebGuard)
  • Avira AV Scanner
  • Avira Protection Cloud
    On the client there is a behaviour detection kind of pre-selection. If a file is suspicious the cloud server is asked if the file is already known.
    [*]If unknown:
    • An upload is requested
    • The file is uploaded to the server
    • There we have several detection modules that cannot be deployed on the customers PCs (an AI with a large database, sandboxes for behavior classification, etc. ). They scan and classify the file
    • The database is updated
    • The results are sent back, you are protected
  • Avira Branding
  • Hardening

H

hjlbx

The Future of Avira's Secure Browser:
Avira's Secure Browser: Plans and Tactics (Part 1) - Avira Blog
Avira’s Secure Browser: Plans and Tactics (Part 2) - Avira Blog
  • Open-source Extensions
  • Contributing to Chromiums and 3rd party code
  • Avira Browser Safety and SafeSearch (WebGuard)
  • Avira AV Scanner
  • Avira Protection Cloud
    On the client there is a behaviour detection kind of pre-selection. If a file is suspicious the cloud server is asked if the file is already known.
    [*]If unknown:
    • An upload is requested
    • The file is uploaded to the server
    • There we have several detection modules that cannot be deployed on the customers PCs (an AI with a large database, sandboxes for behavior classification, etc. ). They scan and classify the file
    • The database is updated
    • The results are sent back, you are protected
  • Avira Branding
  • Hardening

The "Future" = not any time soon...

Reactions: kev216 and Moose

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@hjlbx After all, it's still a slow progress beta.

Avira Blog (15th September 2015) - https://blog.avira.com/browser-drive-exploits-experiment/
"Avira is currently doing a new research project called BOB. It covers secure online banking. With the iframe experiment we hope to also get an answer concerning the question: “How many percent and which families of banking trojans infect the user by Drive-by Downloads”. There are other re-directions than just iframes and there are other infection vectors (like SPAM mails with links). But that’s another task for another day.

Avira's new Extension to study iFrames

IXK5xaN.png

Small print
  • It is not a security feature yet
  • We will send more data to our server than needed by the final product. We will collect:
    • The hosts you visit (Pro tip: You might want to install it in an experimental browser profile and not surf to “embarrassing” sites )
    • The iframes contained on those hosts
    • The version numbers of the browser and the extension
    • A random and unique ID for your installation. We want to estimate the number of daily users – to later calculate the needed bandwidth.
Click on the button, activate the extension. Surf to your normal pages. The extension will directly show you the embedded iframes (not all of them, but most). The pages and the contained iframes are uploaded to our servers, so maybe you will want to skip some of your most “embarrassing” pages. We will update the extension 2-3 times a month with new features."

Reactions: kev216 and Moose

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
SOURCE: BLOG.AVIRA.COM

Why Avira Scout?
Last but not least I wanted to share some cool facts and thoughts about the name Avira Scout, some of which might have influenced our decision:
  • Scout is very recognizable: Even in non-English speaking countries one knows the word.
  • Scout can be used as a verb, too. For example: Let’s scout this.
  • The scout movement stands for helpfulness, honesty, and integrity amongst other qualities – something we want our browser to stand for, too.
We hope you like the browser name as much as we do. Feel free to tell us in the comments below what you think!

Avira Secure Browser aka Avira Scout. What do you think of the new name?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hmm... hopefully that should not be a confusing to WinPatrol which its flagship name is Scotty as a dog to monitor any unknown changes. But in my view better yet stick to the name of browser instead.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
im beta testing it, not bad.
I recently terminated my Avira Beta account, but I want to ask are Avira's own security technologies noticeable in the Scout browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.