avkom

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
Another Tools:
- Sanboxie for fast testing unknown/unfamous softwares
- VMWare with Win XP SP3 32 bit, Win 7 64 bit, Win 8 32 bit for testing anything.
- Unlocker for catch naughty process
- RCE utilities e.g ExeinfoPE, Peid, PeStudio, OllyDBG, Hex Workshop
- IDM, HSS for encrypt my traffic and bypass my office's proxy, Winrar

Say NO to these third party tools
- Optimizing tool e.g registry cleaner, memory booster, disk defragmenter, file cleaner. I always use internal tools/manual.
- Password manager. I have more than 20 passwords for my accounts in my mind. lol
- Uninstaller. Just browse the registries with regedit and delete the unused keys.
- Software updater. I hate being spied..

Windows Setting
- Folder options: show hidden files/folder/drives/protected operating system files/know extension file type. No invisible intruders!
- Windows Explorer: no autorun/autoplay
- UAC always on
- Always lock my laptop when I'm away
- I use group policy to prohibit unknown/unfamous program and my malwares collection from being executed. I also use ESET's exclusion for my malwares collection folder so I don't have to restore (again) my files from quarantine.
- I always update my Windows everyday manually.

What do you think?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Excellent explanation for the software you do and not use.

"HSS for encrypt my traffic and bypass my office's proxy" - What is HSS, (acronym)?

What Group Policy setting do you use to prevent the unknown?

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
I don't see what is wrong with using certain safer uninstallers like IOBit
and Software updates make life easier imo. But each to his own!

avkom

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
Amiga500 said:
There is still not enough known about this program and i stick with my original opinion and that it still looks a bit like a rogue to me.

Earth said:
Excellent explanation for the software you do and not use.

"HSS for encrypt my traffic and bypass my office's proxy" - What is HSS, (acronym)?

What Group Policy setting do you use to prevent the unknown?

HSS = Hotspot Shield.

I create a policy in Local Security Policy - Security Settings - Application Control Policies - AppLocker - Executable Rules.

One thing that we should remember is the AppLocker don't block any app with UAC manifest. Technically, I guess AppLocker only hook CreateProcessW.

BSOD said:
I don't see what is wrong with using certain safer uninstallers like IOBit
and Software updates make life easier imo. But each to his own!

Why should I use uninstaller if the software has its uninstaller? If the software don't have uninstaller, how do I know IOBit remove the software compelety/clearly? if I make a software that create random registry key, how do IOBi know thelocation of random registry key? What uninstaller software can do is kill the process automatically and removes the files.

Software update? Actually I know Orbit has software updater feature then become a malware. IMO, every good program has its updater. Firefox has its own updater. Adobe has its own updater. Third party updater? I can't realize if there is a program monitors my whole data :)

avkom

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
xpressive said:
Hello, avkom. remember me from smadaver?

btw, no backup?

ofc I remember. sup dude?

Backup? yeah I upload my password protected backup files into Google Drive.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Can't find anything wrong with this config!

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
@avkom
How kompas doing? still waiting the rtp dude.

btw, how good ESET for catching rootkit?

avkom

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
xpressive said:
@avkom
How kompas doing? still waiting the rtp dude.

btw, how good ESET for catching rootkit?

Damn I am so busy coding mobile app now. Probably i will use shareware component for RTP (ring3 hook). I am afraid this feature is not free therefore user have to upgrade license to use this feature.

ESET is good. Please, I don't want to talk about other AV.

xpressive

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2013
Haha, good luck with that project.

Allright, every man had it's own opinion. :D
"proxy addon for anomity" do you use Tor?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows comes with a Firewall by default, might want to do some reading up on what features Windows has and not. :D

avkom

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2013
xpressive said:
Haha, good luck with that project.

Allright, every man had it's own opinion. :D
"proxy addon for anomity" do you use Tor?

I use regular add-ons for Firefox and HSS. I don't use that secure hacker browser.

WalterWolf said:
What about adding firewall ?
Yeah, I used to use Zone Alarm. I think Zone Alarm was the most famous firewall. At that moment many AV vendor only release "pure antivirus". I mean no firewall, no HIPS etc. Then I use PC Plus Firewall because it's so easy to use. Later I use ESET Smart Security and it was not too easy to configure the firewall configuration and sometimes conflict with HSS and Connectify. So I decided to uninstall it and use Window firewall. I think antivirus + uptodate Windows is secure enough. Bad program has no chance to access network because it can detected by antivirus and hacker can't use exploit to remote access my uptodate Windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.