Troubleshoot Avoid being monitored

saman1

Thread author
Jun 29, 2018
Hi, I need to ask if there is anything I can do to avoid being monitored or find out if someone is monitoring my laptop when I connect to the wi-fi at work?
I also wonder if "Own Cloud" Windows app is capable of monitoring my pc?
I have a Lenovo z510 laptop.
my OS is windows 10.
and as I said before I connect through a wi-fi network.
thank you.
saman

Reactions: vtqhtr413

xSploit

Level 1
Jul 7, 2012
The best and most reliable way, if you're familiar with networking, you can use Wireshark and look for suspicious requests.

You can also look at a simple traceroute printout between you and the internet, if you see hops that shouldn't be there then it's possible you're being monitored.

Additionally, by simply pinging all the local machines (nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24 will do this quickly) and then checking the ARP table (arp -an) for duplicates, you can detect ARP poisoning quite quickly.

However, if you're unfamiliar with networking, you can use the below mentioned tool to detect if someone is monitoring your network traffics, and it also provides security by alerting or stopping attacks:
  • XArp: Advanced ARP spoofing detection, active probing and passive checks. Two user interfaces: normal view with predefined security levels, pro view with per-interface configuration of detection modules and active validation. Windows and Linux, GUI-based.
Bonus: To avoid being monitored over Wi-Fi networks,

1. Use over-the-top encryption products that encrypt data prior to transmission off your device.
2. Use a VPN solutions to establish an encrypted tunnel.

Here's a video on How to detect ARP Spoofing attack in Windows 10

Hope it helps. :cool:(y)
And let me know if anything is unclear, or if there is something you would like more detail.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.