b91's configuration

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
I think you have to choose between Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus.
Together are not good idea and for 8.1 not function well. It´s possible not defend your system.

I

illumination

I think you have to choose between Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus or Avast Free Antivirus.
Together are not good idea and for 8.1 not function well. It´s possible not defend your system.

Webroot is a companion AV, designed to work along side other security softwares.

I

illumination

If you install MaAfee he recommended to unnistall any other security software.

They are talking about non companion AV's and security suites that could conflict with theirs. Most Security suite venders will say the same.
But there are companion programs that can and will run along side another security program with no ill effects.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nice Configuration!! You could probably just run WSA alongside Windows Security and set UAC to max and uninstall Avast.As illumination said WSA is a companion which is meant to run alongside AV's & Security Suites.Removing Avast is not necessary though.

Thanks for sharing your Config :)

Reactions: cdnsempre

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Nice Configuration!! You could probably just run WSA alongside Windows Security and set UAC to max and uninstall Avast.As illumination said WSA is a companion which is meant to run alongside AV's & Security Suites.Removing Avast is not necessary though.

I trust in my instincts and "exterminator20" confirms. I think that configure add more active services on task manager and if want turn in same time the net, a game or the office your computar are stay heavy.

b91

Thread author
Jan 16, 2014
Thank you for all your comments. Indeed, WSA is designed to be compatible with other AV software.
WSA + Avast uses total 40 MB RAM, so it's working very smooth on my PC.

It would take some registry hacks to disable WSA from showing in the Windows Security Centre, wich would be the only way to turn Windows Defender back on. Since Avast has higher protection rates then Defender, this seemed the best solution to me.

Reactions: Exterminator

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Thank you for all your comments. Indeed, WSA is designed to be compatible with other AV software.
WSA + Avast uses total 40 MB RAM, so it's working very smooth on my PC.

It would take some registry hacks to disable WSA from showing in the Windows Security Centre, wich would be the only way to turn Windows Defender back on. Since Avast has higher protection rates then Defender, this seemed the best solution to me.
I didn't mean turning windows defender back on,my mistake for wording it wrong I just meant WSA without Avast.if it is running smooth on your PC there is absolutely no reason to change it.

b91

Thread author
Jan 16, 2014
I didn't mean turning windows defender back on,my mistake for wording it wrong I just meant WSA without Avast.if it is running smooth on your PC there is absolutely no reason to change it.
I understand, but i'm not completely sure about the protection of Webroot yet, because of the very mixed test results. Feel like it makes good combination with a free and light AV.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I understand, but i'm not completely sure about the protection of Webroot yet, because of the very mixed test results. Feel like it makes good combination with a free and light AV.
WSA provides excellent protection,it is very light and runs great with everything.If that's what you are comfortable using that is what you should stay with.

D

Deleted member 178

WSA is great alone or as companion, adding avast in the mix gives more prevention modules that lacks in WSA

cdnsempre

Level 1
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
It´s better choose one only software that do the works the avast and WSA like Kaspersky IS, MCAfee IS or Norton IS.

Last edited:

b91

Thread author
Jan 16, 2014
Updated my config:
New: Bitdefender Internet Security
Removed: Avast and Webroot

I use Bitdefender now because i got an almost free license. I don't like it a lot since it feels quite bulgy and heavy, but i think it does give very good protection though.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Updated my config:
New: Bitdefender Internet Security
Removed: Avast and Webroot

I use Bitdefender now because i got an almost free license. I don't like it a lot since it feels quite bulgy and heavy, but i think it does give very good protection though.
It was a little bulgy and heavy when I was testing it too...

D

Deleted member 178

no way i install BDIS even if someone gives me a lifetime license

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.