Guide | How To Back up Gmail to a local drive

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I was googling on how to backup gmail and I found this and I must say it works like a charm!

Although many people are comfortable keeping data only in the cloud, I'm not one of them. I'm sure that Google backs up regularly, and keeps my data on multiple servers. But I still feel better keeping a local copy of my own.

But how do you do that?

The obvious solution is to use POP or IMAP to access your mail through a local mail client--such as Outlook. But that won't back up all the messages you've stored in Gmail over past years.

That's why I'm recommending Gmail Backup. This free program hasn't been updated in nearly three years, but it still works fine.

More here

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ha, that is what I currently do, I use Outlook for all emails now, which can be a good thing.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
McLovin said:
Ha, that is what I currently do, I use Outlook for all emails now, which can be a good thing.

I am fine with gmail, works great and has plenty of storage

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.