Backdoor in D-Link router found

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
dir-100_loaded_in_ida.png

All right. It’s Saturday night, I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape…let’s hack.

On a whim I downloaded firmware v1.13 for the DIR-100 revA. Binwalk quickly found and extracted a SquashFS file system, and soon I had the firmware’s web server (/bin/webs) loaded into IDA:
Based on the source code of the HTML pages and some Shodan search results, it can be reasonably concluded that the following D-Link devices are likely affected:

DIR-100
DI-524
DI-524UP
DI-604S
DI-604UP
DI-604+
TM-G5240

Additionally, several Planex routers also appear to use the same firmware:

BRL-04UR
BRL-04CW

You stay classy, D-Link.

Source

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
Update
D-Link is in the process of developing a patch for a serious security vulnerability in some of its older routers that essentially functions as a backdoor. The bug, discovered by a security researcher and publicized over the weekend, enables a remote user to log into an affected router as an administrator and take whatever actions he pleases.
Why the backdoor is present in the routers is a major question. Hardware manufacturers in the past, when confronted with similar questions, have said that they sometimes include such functionality for remote support or as a debugging mechanism during the development process and then mistakenly forgot to remove it. Heffner said that another researcher, Travis Goodspeed, suggested a possible reason for the presence of the D-Link backdoor.

Source

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.