Advice Request Backing up software updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Junglist

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 12, 2017
Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. After a failed upgrade from Windows 7 I had to do a clean install. This meant reinstalling old software (Adobe CS5.5 Suite) that is no longer supported by Adobe. Thankfully after installing I was able to connect to the Adobe servers and download the last updates. Adobe seems to be deleting updates for outdated software and I don’t think that in the future I will be able to download those same updates again. I intend on using this software for as long as I possibly can. Is there any way of backing up these updates so I can access them in the future if I need to reinstall the software again?

I previously used Windows 7 backup utility and have been researching backup software and different types of backups. After making myself confused I just downloaded AOMEI as it seems simple to use. Does this software offer anything that will help me with the above issue?

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I used to use the Windows 7 Backup and Restore function on Windows 10 but encountered some problems with it recently. I switched to Macrium Reflect Free and I am liking it. Please see my comments on the matter. I also link to the tutorial I used for Macrium Reflect in that post.

Since you've already clean installed the OS and installed your programs, I'd make a full system image backup. Restoring from a full system image backup will keep your OS, installed program files/settings, and personal files exactly the way it was when you made the system image. I make it a habit to make a full system image backup before every Patch Tuesday just in case I encounter an error when installing Windows Updates.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I am using both of them Macrium free and Aomei free.And i have 4 different backup images made with every program. (clean and fresh Windows image,after Windows updates and all my software installed image,after CFW install image and after installing the KSC Free.)This way i can pick up very easily an image to restore and in case one of them fails me i have the image made with the other program.And i have these 8 images on 3 different external hard drives.I know seems a little bit paranoic but better to be carefull and prepaired for anything.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

My procedure : Clean Install + Windows Update right away > 1st System Image > hardware drivers installation > 2nd System Image > implementation of SUA and various options, settings, OS tweaks > 3rd system image > install of mandatory software > 4th system image > install non-mandatory apps > final system Image.

With this it doesn't matter what disaster i'm victim.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.