Which is your Backup Solution?

• Total voters

monkeylove

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I use Acronis with a full monthly and daily incremental backup of the Win 8.1 system, and monthly backups of the browser, some data folders, and games in other drives to an external one.

However, I also have a system image using the built-in backup done yearly and file history turned on, both stored in an internal HD in the same system.

Finally, I used free accounts of MegaSync and Zoolz to do cloud backups of some folders.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Which is your Backup Solution?

I encrypt backups with AES256+Blowfish then dump them into the triple encrypted (AES256, 2048RSA, SSL/TLS), zero knowledge, SOC-3 protected, Canadian Cloud service called Sync.

It's the safest way for me to easily store my backup data. If you are referring to mirrors and images, I don't do it because it takes me 15 minutes to reset windows 10 then a few more minutes to draw off needed files from Sync. Everything important is mirrored at Sync. Anything else, I don't really care about.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Having seen more hard disk crashes and failures than I care to remember, the most recent being Nov 2015, I take data backup very, very seriously. I have purchased licenses for several backup programs in the past including Storagecraft's Shadowprotect (expensive), Acronis TrueImage (unreliable restores which for a backup program automatically labels it as not-fit-for-purpose) & EaseUS Todo Backup (slimeball company). Also tried AOMEI Backupper, close but no cigar.

So here are the programs I depend on:

Main backup program - Macrium Reflect Home. A full image weekly and 4 incrementals a day. This is "IT" for me. No other backup program has this level of reliability, moderate cost and ease of use.

For syncing to local drives and NAS - Pipemetric's Bvckup 2 and Siber Systems's Goodsync Pro

Cloud Backup - As a former Crashplan & iDrive user, I use Duplicati, an open source software with a lot of promise. But it is a bit buggy. Also considering Syncbackpro or Cloudberry Desktop as options.

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
So here are the programs I depend on:

Main backup program - Macrium Reflect Home. A full image weekly and 4 incrementals a day. This is "IT" for me. No other backup program has this level of reliability, moderate cost and ease of use.

For syncing to local drives and NAS - Pipemetric's Bvckup 2 and Siber Systems's Goodsync Pro

Cloud Backup - As a former Crashplan & iDrive user, I use Duplicati, an open source software with a lot of promise. But it is a bit buggy. Also considering Syncbackpro or Cloudberry Desktop as options.
Same here (not Goodsync though).
Also a former Crashplan and iDrive user, for Cloud I am using Zoolz now. Downside is that it's slow to restore, but it is last resort backup for me so that's not really an issue. I have found their support to be very good.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I have made one copy of the entire system on the external drive of the Windows backup program and that's it.
I do not think it makes sense to do a monthly copy of the system because I do not install unnecessary programs or test programs.
I use the programs I need.:)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Why have two sync software though and why have separate program for cloud backup. Doesn't Goodsync already do that?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Why have two sync software though and why have separate program for cloud backup. Doesn't Goodsync already do that?
I also make two backups with different software in case one fails to restore my system I have an alternative solution. :)

Reactions: Weebarra

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017

Ok, here's the thing, other than the fact I purchased multiple Goodsync licenses long before I discovered Bvckup, I find the latter faster and better for syncing local folders. Try Bvckup and you'll discover it for yourself. :) Bvckup 2 | Simple fast backup

Goodsync has an advantage - it also syncs to the cloud but it isn't as elegant a solution like Cloudberry or SyncbackPro. So, yeah, Goodsync is good but there are better solutions out there.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Ok, here's the thing, other than the fact I purchased multiple Goodsync licenses long before I discovered Bvckup, I find far the latter faster and better for syncing local folders. Try Bvckup and you'll discover it for yourself. :) Bvckup 2 | Simple fast backup

Goodsync has an advantage - it also syncs to the cloud but it isn't as elegant a solution like Cloudberry or SyncbackPro. So, yeah, Goodsync is good but there are better solutions out there.
Do any of them have the ability to directly sync to an Android phone? Free or Paid feature? I'm sure Goodsync has this.

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Do any of them have the ability to directly sync to an Android phone? Free or Paid feature? I'm sure Goodsync has this.

Hmm...I haven't tried an Android backups with either program but yeah Goodsync does that. There are limitations on the # of files in the trial version.How to Backup Android | GoodSync and GoodSync Free vs. Pro

As for Bvckup, it may work if you connect your device in MTP mode. Again, I've never tried it so YMMV.

PS - there is a Goodsync 10 giveaway on shareware on sale .

Yoda

Level 3
Verified
Jul 26, 2017
I am using Acronis backup.
Every time I am doing a full disk Image. (4 min job)
Usually I am doing 2 backups per month kept for 6 months back
Also doing daily backup of data with FreeFileSync (1 min job)

Currently I am using Acronis 2014, as for some unknown reason, Acronis 2015,2016 and 2017 were doing corruptions to target disk File Table.
(HDD driver compatibility?)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.