Bad Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
So I used Windows Defender on Windows 8 for a while. I liked the experience with it until today.

Today a new definition update came, version 1.145.1429.0. I was surprised to find Windows Defender with a big red interface, stating that it's services are off and I need to restart them.
I restart the services, try to run a quick scan and after 20 seconds the Windows Defender services crash again.

Next I run the "mpcmdrun -removedefinitions" command in command prompt and revert the definitions to 1.145.1385.0. Quick Scan works now and the program is stable.

When I update to 1.145.1429.0 Quick Scan crashes the services.
I just tought it was reliable until today. What if a normal user got infected because of these broken signatures? :s

I can reproduce the issue over and over again, by updating and then reverting to the last known good definitions.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Might be a broken signature, but I'm sure they should test them before they release them...

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Yeah, like they tested these updates:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Update-Causes-Blue-Screen-of-Death-Some-Users-Report-334329.shtml

Anyone else having problems with 1.145.1429.0 definitions?

r1gav

Mar 9, 2013
avastalicious said:
Yeah, like they tested these updates:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Update-Causes-Blue-Screen-of-Death-Some-Users-Report-334329.shtml

Anyone else having problems with 1.145.1429.0 definitions?

Yes exactly the same issue on my 3 pcs

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
You need to open a command prompt window by typing "command prompt" in the start screen.
Then right click it and choose "Run as administrator". Type these lines in the command prompt window and press enter after each one:
cd /d C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
then
mpcmdrun -removedefinitions

This is it, you should be reverted to 1.145.1385.0. This is for Windows 8, mind you. The directory name is different with Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7.
By the way, another update came, 1.145.1455.0. The issue is still present, 1.145.1385.0 being the only stable definition.

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/21764-windows-defender-0x800106ba-error.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1369292/windows-defender-problem-with-windows-8

These are from today, we're not alone. :)
Microsoft, wtf?

r1gav

Mar 9, 2013
avastalicious said:
You need to open a command prompt window by typing "command prompt" in the start screen.
Then right click it and choose "Run as administrator". Type these lines in the command prompt window and press enter after each one:
cd /d C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
then
mpcmdrun -removedefinitions

This is it, you should be reverted to 1.145.1385.0. This is for Windows 8, mind you. The directory name is different with Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7.
By the way, another update came, 1.145.1455.0. The issue is still present, 1.145.1385.0 being the only stable definition.

Yes im using win 8, It worked a treat thanks

r1gav

Mar 9, 2013
is there a command to roll back two definitions as i updated my laptop to 1.145.1455.0. in the hope it would resolve the problem

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Issue already resolved, run update and you should get 1.145.1465.0.
Be sure to restart your system if you have problems and try again.

Thanks.:D

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
It is not resolved. I restarted a couple of times, even reverted definition to stock (mpcmdrun -removedefinitions -all) then updated to 1.145.1470.0.

Quick Scan still crashes Defender services.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
avastalicious said:
It is not resolved. I restarted a couple of times, even reverted definition to stock (mpcmdrun -removedefinitions -all) then updated to 1.145.1470.0.

Quick Scan still crashes Defender services.

I don't know what to tell you.
It is working fine on my laptop after updating and rebooting I was able to complete Quick Scan without errors.

Thanks.:D

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
@Littlebits
It's not just the quick scan, it will turn itself off randomly. Yesterday I didn't quick scan, I just launched Defender and found the services turned off, then I discovered that quick scan crashes it too.

r1gav

Mar 9, 2013
still not fixed here, random shutdowns of defender and still wont complete a quick scan

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
I will post an update when it gets fixed. A MVP of Microsoft forums acknowledged the issue and has reported it to a contact in MSFT.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I didn't even experience it, as I disable WD daily and also on that day I switched to Avast. I missed the WD catastrophe.

KelvinW4 said:
Wow guys I thought it was just me, but oh well I went to comodo again :(

avastalicious

Thread author
Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Good news, everyone! (Futurama reference) :)

Users on Microsoft forums reported that 1.145.1493.0 fixed the issue. I confirm it, ran a couple of scans and it's stable now.

You need to download the definitions manually though, it seems the update in the Defender GUI downloads an older version at the moment.
Grab 'em here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.