Bandizip worries

averagedarren

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 31, 2019
Hi,

I recently carried out my 6 month backup, wipe and re-installation of Windows 10 and then began to download my usual software. When opening the Bandizip download page I noticed that I could now download the Beta version 7.0 so I decided to give this a try. I then noticed that when the page loaded that the new Beta (and presumably future releases) will be released in 3 different tiers: Standard (Free), Professional (Paid) and Enterprise (Paid). There is a comparison table in the 'more info' section which I will link below and the features part of this, for all versions, just says TBC but below says the Free version will be limited. I really hope they don't screw this up and limit the Free version so much that it turns me to other compression software. Sorry for the long rant.

Thanks.

Bandizip comparison

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There are a number of alternatives, so I don't see this as much of an issue. While I use it myself and like it, I'm not too attached to it, so I'd quite happily switch to an alternative (other than 7-Zip, as I don't like its GUI) if I needed to.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Hello: I've never used Bandizip as I bought WinRar about 200 (maybe more) years ago & my license still works - I can't really see there is a lot of scope for charging for zippers esp as there is a version built into Windows. WinZip went down the road a while ago charging a small fortune and it could be argued renegaded on lifetime licenses in the past. There are heaps of free zippers. if Bandizip gets messed up you could try the others?

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
There is a feature I'm always missing in BandiZip and 7zip that WinRAR has -> PassWords Manager...

Bandizip beta 7.0 version seems to include this feature. But the news about possible paid versions is saddening.

NRPoa96.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Maybe someone is interested, here are screenshots, new beta 7.0

BZB#1.PNGBZB#2.PNG

Note: It seems that you can remove the Ads, after restart the software, Ads are still disappeared:

BZB#3.PNG

Password-Manager looks simple to me:

BZB#4.PNG

Last edited:

Ever since I started using PeaZip I never looked back.

PeaZip is just a front-end for 7zip. So what you are really using is 7zip.

Hi,

I recently carried out my 6 month backup, wipe and re-installation of Windows 10 and then began to download my usual software. When opening the Bandizip download page I noticed that I could now download the Beta version 7.0 so I decided to give this a try. I then noticed that when the page loaded that the new Beta (and presumably future releases) will be released in 3 different tiers: Standard (Free), Professional (Paid) and Enterprise (Paid). There is a comparison table in the 'more info' section which I will link below and the features part of this, for all versions, just says TBC but below says the Free version will be limited. I really hope they don't screw this up and limit the Free version so much that it turns me to other compression software. Sorry for the long rant.

Thanks.

Bandizip comparison

If the developer makes no money, then the project will eventually die.

Lots of these freeware developers are tired of giving stuff away for free, and then the freeware users expecting the developer to fix stuff. The whole premise of freeware is that it is offered as-is.

Built-in works fine and I don't need fancy features but I know others have different requirements.

It's true, and most things these days are turning to subscriptions. Even M$ will do it with Windows I assume.

The costs of coding are high. People out there in userland should be willing to pay, and to pay well. All the types here that just want freeware are only killing their favorite softs. Sooner or later, those kinds of software all die. It might take 10 or 15 years, but eventually, it always happens. Or the software stagnates, with perhaps sporadic development or just remains in a perpetually beta or half azzed state.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
The costs of coding are high. People out there in userland should be willing to pay, and to pay well. All the types here that just want freeware are only killing their favorite softs. Sooner or later, those kinds of software all die. It might take 10 or 15 years, but eventually, it always happens. Or the software stagnates, with perhaps sporadic development or just remains in a perpetually beta or half azzed state.

The best thing about free software is that there will also be another good free alternative when one of them dies.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The best thing about free software is that there will also be another good free alternative when one of them dies.
But that doesn’t solve the inherent issue that it’s a parasitic relationship that eventually destroys the devs.

Reactions: roger_m

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Why did they turn into an online setup, it's just a simple archiver?

It seems that the ad can be closed in the Free version and if needed blocking the program via firewall doesn't display the ad too.
This method seems completely a waste of effort in order to remove ads, the company have to pay for their product some where along the line. However I am one of those individuals that will seek free alternatives.

~LDogg

averagedarren

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 31, 2019
Hello: I've never used Bandizip as I bought WinRar about 200 (maybe more) years ago & my license still works - I can't really see there is a lot of scope for charging for zippers esp as there is a version built into Windows. WinZip went down the road a while ago charging a small fortune and it could be argued renegaded on lifetime licenses in the past. There are heaps of free zippers. if Bandizip gets messed up you could try the others?
There are a number of alternatives, so I don't see this as much of an issue. While I use it myself and like it, I'm not too attached to it, so I'd quite happily switch to an alternative (other than 7-Zip, as I don't like its GUI) if I needed to.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. My original rant wasn't meant to come accross as a dig at the developer or a moan about it, just more that it's a sham ethat developers of great software eventually have to turn to a paid service or subscription. I'm sure the new free version would suit my needs but Ads in apps just don't sit right with me. I will probably go back to 7-Zip and try to find the software that changes the UI, that I used many many years ago.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.