Banking & Shopping online safest options ?

broughie

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
hi I have Win7 PC with Avast free & Mbam Premium in realtime. Advice needed please , which of 3 options safest to use for my online banking & shopping (all Https). (1) Bitdefender Safepay (isolated) browser with virtual keyboard included (2) In Windows7 in a Sandboxied browser with Zemena free encrypted keyboard running. (3) Puppy Linux CD set up to run in Ram only with firewall & virtual keyboard. Ejected after each banking session with no saves to CD or Hard disk.
Appreciate none will be 100% but which option would be recommended safest for me to use . Thanks

Reactions: upnorth

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I would say - use browser in Private Mode + keystroke encryption. If yor PC is clean than there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
L

LabZero

BitDefender Safepay runs in sandbox mode to make online shopping and banking online activities safe from viruses, hackers and attempts to hijack or monitoring.

This function ensures that if a program is infected with malicious threats, cannot interact with the sanboxed browser and keeps it safe from any spy tools like keyloggers and other malware

In my opinion this option is more than enough.

H

hjlbx

Most secure = Puppy Linux CD.

If you tire of the inconvenience of Puppy Linux CD, then Safe Pay.

Safe Pay and Sandboxie are essentially equivalent, from what I understand.

You should be able to use Zemana on your system even if you use Puppy Linux CD; I think it will still encrypt the keystrokes. That's a question for Zemana tech support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Der.Reisende

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Are you still using Avast ? If so not sure that it is secure. o_O

Reactions: LabZero

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I like option number 3 although seems a little paranoid since you need to boot up a different OS for such bank transactions still up to you.

For such conscious, either 1 or 2 should work very well; remember that your system should be clean to avoid any possible worst case scenario.

broughie

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
I like option number 3 although seems a little paranoid since you need to boot up a different OS for such bank transactions still up to you.

For such conscious, either 1 or 2 should work very well; remember that your system should be clean to avoid any possible worst case scenario.
Many thanks for replies, info & reassurance about safety.Previously tried & ditched Trusteer found it to be a pain slowed internet a lot. Have now started using Safepay as suggested on my win7 pc & working fine. Will Puppy linux Cd be safe option (as its running in Ram) for Son for banking & internet on XP Pc?

H

hjlbx

Many thanks for replies, info & reassurance about safety.Previously tried & ditched Trusteer found it to be a pain slowed internet a lot. Have now started using Safepay as suggested on my win7 pc & working fine. Will Puppy linux Cd be safe option (as its running in Ram) for Son for banking & internet on XP Pc?

Puppy Linux CD should be OK on XP... it is safer than the system built-in OS !

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@broughie : As I used Puppy Linux before, then its a big YES for me. Less worries and hassle. Better to clean any infections from your USB by manual remove too. ;)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Very interesting topic!

Alot of AV suites nowdays comes along with an extra layer of protection specially for banking purposes and that's good. As I belive most of them works just as similar like Trusteer ( see video ) anyone of them would normaly be better. F-Secure SAFE's bankprotection both on my PC and Windows phone is automatically enabled but there's even more security available. One option that banks atleast in and around my country starts to use is socalled Geoblocking. That means the customer can choose to open or close the card/s before and after every transaction but it also automatically close the card/s just in case one forgot to do it manual. One can also choose to have the card/s open 24/7 for any wanted outside country. It's still in it's starting point as it's a little extra hassel for the users but I belive they'll tweak it pretty soon and people will also slowly starts to understand how good and secure Geoblocking actually is. Ofcourse it dosen't block from withdraws inside the country but is sure hell blocks everything outside and that's normaly where the thieves hides there ass.

I never seen any reference to Trusteer from the banks in my country but the solutions we have is similar and it's an option ( slow yes but way much faster and secure then other options ) one is forced to use if doing anything deeper then just check the account.

Btw wasen't it issues with Zemana on 64bits OS or have they fixed that?

D

Deleted member 178

Personally i use a VM with a clean win7 and chrome.

I reload the snapshot everytime.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Broughie- Don't obsess so much, what you have is fine if not overkill.

The real issue is that the Retailers/Banks that you are transmitting this information to do not have anywhere the security setup that you do, and this is where the majority of breaches occur (there is a reason why a person could but Credit card numbers in batches of 1000 for less than 5 USD- CC numbers with the persons address can be had for a bit more).

So if you are really concerned about your financial identity being compromised forget about adding anything to your computer but instead:

1). Freeze your credit files at the Credit Reporting Agencies, and
2). Never ever use a Debit card (never ever).

Essentially put the Fault where the Fault belongs- not on yourself but on them.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Broughie- Don't obsess so much, what you have is fine if not overkill.

The real issue is that the Retailers/Banks that you are transmitting this information to do not have anywhere the security setup that you do, and this is where the majority of breaches occur (there is a reason why a person could but Credit card numbers in batches of 1000 for less than 5 USD- CC numbers with the persons address can be had for a bit more).

So if you are really concerned about your financial identity being compromised forget about adding anything to your computer but instead:

1). Freeze your credit files at the Credit Reporting Agencies, and
2). Never ever use a Debit card (never ever).

Essentially put the Fault where the Fault belongs- not on yourself but on them.

Very true. I had a credit card number that I never used online or had stored online that someone in Arizona tried to used to buy $900 in IT software and pet food. Bank refused the transaction because they used the wrong security code. Bank said they didn't know how the thief acquired the card number.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.