Basic Hardened AppGuard Policy XML (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Basic Hardened AppGuard Policy XML
your only lead is to use the Bouncer's vulnerable process list on Wilders.
Obviously you would add interpreters like cmd, powershell, etc.. to User Sapce - Yes (then remove them from Guarded Apps)

@Umbra and @Lockdown :

Might you be able to go into more detail for those of us still who are:
- still learning AppGuard
- wanting to tiptoe into Lockdown mode, and
- have no access to the hardened .xml since it was taken off mega, as discussed in Basic Hardened AppGuard Policy XML (FYI, I am unable to post a reply on that thread, so I created this new thread in order to continue that discussion)

@Umbra and @Lockdown :

- have no access to the hardened .xml since it was taken off mega, as discussed in Basic Hardened AppGuard Policy XML (FYI, I am unable to post a reply on that thread, so I created this new thread in order to continue that discussion)

The vulnerable processes list as published by Florian Rheinhardt of Excubits: https://excubits.com/content/files/blacklist.txt

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra and @Lockdown :

and i wont share one, (and i can tell @Lockdown too) because it is quite disastrous on the hands of beginners; we prefer you learn how to implement yourself, step by step.
When you will achieve the necessary skills to do it, you won't need the xml file anymore.

Reactions: meltcheesedec

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
The vulnerable processes list as published by Florian Rheinhardt of Excubits: https://excubits.com/content/files/blacklist.txt
Don't remember having this many in the previous Hardened.xml, can I just copy that list to AppGuard?! LAZY mode...

@Umbra and @Lockdown :

Stick with the basic at least when your all too familiar with it, the hardened.xml break a lot of things some you need to turn off.

Reactions: meltcheesedec

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Reactions: simmerskool
D

Deleted member 178

I am more radical than @Lockdown , all the vulnerable Processes i am aware of are in "User-Space - Yes" (blocked to run unless explicitly allowed by myself :p )
But i wont recommend to do that, unless you know what is using them, what is blocked by them and why they are blocked.

I am more radical than @Lockdown , all the vulnerable Processes i am aware of are in "User-Space - Yes" (blocked to run unless explicitly allowed by myself :p )
But i wont recommend to do that, unless you know what is using them, what is blocked by them and why they are blocked.

I just want him to learn the basics. Once he gets comfortable with the basics then he can move on to more advanced configuration. That is all that I am recommending.

Users new to AppGuard are advised to learn the product first before proceeding to create advanced policies. This recommendation applies to any other software restriction policy software.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Version 4.4.6.1 is supposedly the last version that Blue Ridge allowed to be lifetime licensed.
Subsequent versions, they are moving to yearly subscriptions, I have read.

Anyway to purchase this lifetime version?

Or would it possible to make this version available as a "freeware" with the understanding that there will absolutely no updates, upgrades, or technical support?

Last edited:

Version 4.4.6.1 is supposedly the last version that Blue Ridge allowed to be lifetime licensed.
Subsequent versions, they are moving to yearly subscriptions, I have read.

Anyway to purchase this lifetime version?

Or would it possible to make this version available as a "freeware" with the understanding that there will absolutely no updates, upgrades, or technical support?

Until we discover a reliable method to convert lead to gold, it is very unlikely that there will be a free version of AppGuard. The company faces the same economic realities as any other company.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Until we discover a reliable method to convert lead to gold, it is very unlikely that there will be a free version of AppGuard. The company faces the same economic realities as any other company.

I was thinking in terms of a basic version with limited features like VS which could be used as an incentive to buy the full version. I am not familiar enough with AppGuard to know if this is even possible. I also understand the economics, too.

I was thinking in terms of a basic version with limited features like VS which could be used as an incentive to buy the full version. I am not familiar enough with AppGuard to know if this is even possible. I also understand the economics, too.

We looked into that, but after a careful evaluation decided it just isn't in any user's best security interests to provide a hobbled freeware version. A freeware limited functionality SRP product is not something you want. Using a freeware version as an installation-based marketing gimmick to induce people to purchase has not been our way of doing things. Freeware versions are the prevailing practice insofar that security software sales is a numbers game; the greater the number of freeware installs the greater the sales. The typical AppGuard purchaser tends to be determined to secure their systems and knows exactly how they want to achieve that objective.

It is possible that things could change in the future, but as I don't work in marketing & sales I cannot state anything definitive.

The current sales model provides a 30-day money back policy for unsatisfied purchasers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.