Be careful with encryption in new versions of Windows

zord

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2014
Be careful with the new version of the Windows 24h2 system. The system automatically encrypts all disks without any notification or information. I found this out when I reverted to an older version of the system and discovered that none of the disks could be read. It ended up with another installation of 24h2 and many hours of decrypting, which put a huge strain on the disks. This was particularly noticeable on SSDs, which became extremely hot during this time and incurred many TBs of writes. After the entire operation, they lost a few percent of their "health." Something like this not only can cause data access loss but also can physically damage the disk.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's crucial to be aware of these potential issues when updating to newer versions of Windows. Always ensure to back up data and understand the encryption process before proceeding with such updates.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I disable it since it's inception, including EFS. Note that you should decrypt files before disabling it. Disabling encryption services will prevent them from encrypting anything in the future..
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker" /v "PreventDeviceEncryption" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
fsutil behavior set disableencryption 1
manage-bde -off C:
manage-bde -off D:
cipher /d /s:C:\
sc config EFS start= disabled
sc config BDESVC start= disabled

Attachments

• capture_05312024_120837.jpg
    capture_05312024_120837.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 46

zord

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2014
Now I know how to disable it during the system installer creation stage. The most important thing is that Microsoft should not enable this by default. If they do, they should warn that it may lead to data loss or hardware damage.

zord

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2014
One of the disks was automatically decrypted, while the other, which was not fully encrypted, remained in a "pending" status and had to be decrypted manually.
It doesn't change the fact that decrypting large data disks takes many hours.

pxxb1

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I disable it since it's inception, including EFS. Note that you should decrypt files before disabling it. Disabling encryption services will prevent them from encrypting anything in the future..
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker" /v "PreventDeviceEncryption" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
fsutil behavior set disableencryption 1
manage-bde -off C:
manage-bde -off D:
cipher /d /s:C:\
sc config EFS start= disabled
sc config BDESVC start= disabled

Does this work on upgrades/repairinstall too?

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Ok, let's say I'm for encryption as I usually am. What I have to lose here? If I want to revert to 23H2, I won't be able to because the disk is encrypted? Does that mean I won't ever be able to roll-back Windows to previous version unless I decrypt the drive first? Does encrypting-decrypting the drive wears the SSD more?

zord

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2014
If you're referring to disks other than the system one, you won't be able to use them without prior decryption, neither on another computer nor on an earlier version of the system. Secondly, if the disk is empty, there's no major issue, and files added will be encrypted on the fly. However, if the disk is full, each file on it will be rewritten, resulting in a significant disk load, when decrypting, the same applies: each file will be rewritten

• Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Well, I have only one SSD in my laptop and that's the one with the system.

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
If my W11 drives all show BitLocker Version: None, Fully Decrypted and Encryption Method: None with Protection Off, is this still a concern when Windows is updated?

You can disable 'BitLocker Drive Encryption Service' in Services, would that be an effective way to prevent encryption from being activated via a Windows update? Thanks!

Last edited:

zord

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 5, 2014
Another day of struggle, today I reinstalled 23h2 again hoping that everything would be fine. The drives are decrypted, but unfortunately, Windows claims that it doesn't recognize the file system and there's no way to use them without formatting and complete data loss. It looks like I'm forever doomed to using 24h2 :confused:

EstrellaRhodes

Jun 3, 2024
One more thing to do now before updating your Windows, great :/

Have an external SSD to backup everything on but still, considering how often Windows updates are, it's frustrating to do that every time...

Thanks for the heads up though!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.